Re: [Synoptic-L] Should Lk 11:9-10 follow 11:13?

  • Stephen Carlson
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 11, 2013
      On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:59 PM, David Inglis <davidinglis2@...>wrote:

      > Lk 11:5-8 and 11:11-13 both involve asking and giving, and Lk 11:9-10
      > appears as though it would fit better after both
      > passages, i.e. after 11:13 instead of 11:8. Interestingly, Tertullian
      > refers to the verses in this order in Adv Marcion
      > IV. Does anyone know of any other support for such a revised verse order?

      I'm a little confused. Your page (that you link too) indicates that Luke
      11:9-10 came before vv.5-8 and 11-13 in Tertullian's treatment of Marcion,
      but your question here seems to place vv.9-10 after them. What's going on?

      Stephen
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D. (Duke)
      Post-Doctoral Fellow, Theology, Uppsala

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 11, 2013
        Stephen, my apologies. The only excuse I can give is that our heating is currently on the fritz, and so my brain was too
        cold for cogent thought last night! In Adv. Marcion IV.26 Tertullian does indeed refer to Lk 11:9-10 immediately after
        the LP, and thus before either 5-8 or 11-13. So, is this just a device of Tertullian's, or is there any support for a
        revised order here (although different to the one I asked in the previous email).

        David Inglis, Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA

        https://sites.google.com/site/inglisonmarcion/Home/marcion/marcion-s-gospel-compared-verse-by-verse-with-luke/lk-11

        > Lk 11:5-8 and 11:11-13 both involve asking and giving, and Lk 11:9-10
        > appears as though it would fit better after both
        > passages, i.e. after 11:13 instead of 11:8. Interestingly, Tertullian
        > refers to the verses in this order in Adv Marcion
        > IV. Does anyone know of any other support for such a revised verse order?

        I'm a little confused. Your page (that you link too) indicates that Luke
        11:9-10 came before vv.5-8 and 11-13 in Tertullian's treatment of Marcion,
        but your question here seems to place vv.9-10 after them. What's going on?

        Stephen
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D. (Duke)
        Post-Doctoral Fellow, Theology, Uppsala

        _____

        No virus found in this message.

      • Stephen Carlson
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 11, 2013
          On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 4:45 PM, David Inglis <davidinglis2@...>wrote:

          > **
          >
          > Stephen, my apologies. The only excuse I can give is that our heating is
          > currently on the fritz, and so my brain was too
          > cold for cogent thought last night! In Adv. Marcion IV.26 Tertullian does
          > indeed refer to Lk 11:9-10 immediately after
          > the LP, and thus before either 5-8 or 11-13. So, is this just a device of
          > Tertullian's, or is there any support for a
          > revised order here (although different to the one I asked in the previous
          > email).

          Not having studied Tertullian's Adv. Marc. in any detail, I can't really
          offer much. My default assumption is that one should not infer that his
          order is that of Marcion's unless he makes an explicit comment to that
          effect.

          Dieter Roth has fairly recently completed a dissertation at the University
          of Edinburgh on using Tertullian to reconstruct Marcion's gospel. I don't
          know if he's going to publish it, but if so there may be something new and
          useful on the question.

          Stephen