RE: [Synoptic-L] Re: Mk 2:27: A Western Non-Interpolation or not?

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 6, 2013
      I have just added to my website a page detailing my thoughts on this issue, with a slightly modified version of the text below as the conclusion. If anyone is interested the link to this page is given below, and I welcome all comments, corrections, etc., either on-list or off. Thanks to Wieland Willker for his TC Mark page, which I quote in a number of places.

      David Inglis, Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA

      https://sites.google.com/site/inglisonmarcion/Home/mark-2-27-28

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 7, 2013
        I am hesitant to repeat a point but
        I would recommend re-reading at least
        Casey, Solution, 19 & 262-263, and
        Casey, Jesus, 370-374.

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 7, 2013
          David M, I apologize if I am failing to understand which point you are referring to, so perhaps I can re-state some things:

          1) Casey makes it clear that ‘bar nasha’ is a normal term for the generic ‘man’ (or perhaps ‘people’) (and by the way is quite happy to berate others for failing to understand this);

          2) Assuming that Mk 2:28 had an Aramaic original (which I am quite happy with as a possibility) then the original Greek translation was either ‘man’ (generic) or ‘the Son of man’ (Christological), with the translation decision basically resting on the translators familiarity with Aramaic.

          As we don’t know whether aMk was bilingual or not (or is this where there are points I haven’t appreciated?) then we have to examine the mss evidence of the variants of Mk 2:27 (and the verses in the equivalent places in Mt and Lk) in the light of both translations, and see if using that we can determine the probable history of Mk 2:27. Other than pointing out that we need to allow for both translations, I’m not sure how Casey figures in this process. Is there something I’m missing?

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 7, 2013
            To: Synoptic
            On: Mark
            From: Bruce

            David: As we don't know whether aMk was bilingual or not . . .

            Bruce: Of course not. But are we really entirely in the dark?

            1. Mark knew some Greek because he wrote in Greek. His Greek has been
            faulted, but I have seen arguments that some of the supposed solecisms may
            after all not be that bad; though perhaps not of academic level. It is at
            least presentable Greek. Perhaps: provincial Greek. When he gives the name
            of Jesus' first-called disciple, he uses the Greek form Peter, not (as Paul
            invariably does) the Aramaic equivalent Cephas. In at least this instance,
            where a choice offers between Aramaic and Greek, Mark's language of
            preference is Greek. In Mark's own household, the maid's name was Rhoda (so
            says Luke), a Greek name which implies an affectation of Greek culture.

            I am reminded of the cultured Berlin households of the 19c, say that of
            Mendelssohn, or of von Ranke (whose wife was Irish; some of his collected
            letters are in English), where English as well as German was the medium of
            interchange and cultural enjoyment. Or French at the 19c Russian court.

            2. Mark seems to have known a number of people fin Jerusalem, possibly
            including Simon of Cyrene and his two sons, who are important in the
            narrative because at least Simon was an eyewitness to the Crucifixion. If
            Simon was a Jew of Cyrene (north Africa), he may not have been a fluent
            speaker of Aramaic, and if Mark's circle included people not that fluent in
            Aramaic, his own basic language need not have been Aramaic, though
            undoubtedly he knew enough Aramaic to get around. The Aramaisms in Mark have
            been variously assessed; some who should know find them not always precise.
            Mark himself, in giving Aramaisms, invariably translates them for his
            readers. Then his expected readers were not assuredly Aramaic-fluent. This
            would be another hint that Mark's own circle were not, or not all, or not
            all that, fluent in Aramaic. The only parts of the Jesus story that Mark
            really knows up close, as it were, are the Jerusalem parts; for the Galilee
            parts, where these are not simply invented, he seems (on the evidence of the
            shape these things have within the overall story of Mark) to have relied on
            the reports of others. It is likely enough that one of these informants was
            Peter (though not, I should think, Peter in Rome; that is taking things too
            far in a deuteroPauline direction; far more likely, as Luke suggests, Peter
            in Jerusalem). The only person Mark describes physically is John the
            Baptist, and John was a popular revivalist preacher in the vicinity of,
            again, Jerusalem. For a convinced and early believer in Jesus not ever to
            have visited Galilee, or to have heard Jesus preach there firsthand, argues
            a lack of comfort in a more exclusively Aramaic-speaking area. Of course the
            dialect there was crude, but still.

            3. Mk, alone of the Gospels, includes some easy Latinisms, which would have
            been natural enough for anyone living in Jerusalem, where there was a strong
            Roman military and economic presence. He does not translate these Latinisms;
            he expects them to be understood. Then for his intended audience, and
            conceivably for himself, Latin (a certain amount of contact Latin) was a
            given. His own name (Mark) is Latin, and not Greek (like the non-Aramaic
            names of many of his contemporaries).

            Not to run this too far, I come up with at least trilingual, taking
            "lingual" in a somewhat wide and forgiving sense. Or to put it in a phrase:
            a cosmopolitan Jew of Jerusalem.

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
              As far as the phrase 'Son of man' is concerned, it seems to me likely that
              the great majority of Markan occurrences are in passages created by Mark
              (the exceptions being in 8:38 and 13:26, loosely based on the logia, and
              9:12 and 14:62, both part of late interpolations). This assessment of the
              majority of the Markan Son of man passages is based on seeing how well they
              match the perceived purpose of the author, and on how anomalous they would
              be in various ways if taken as pure historical accounts.

              Thus I see 2:27b-28 not as a translation, but as a Markan creation. The
              question of whether verse 28 is translated correctly is surely based on the
              flawed assumption of Markan lack of creativity.