RE: [Synoptic-L] E.C.Maloney on Mark

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2013
      Dennis asked
      -------------------
      What I would find interesting is how much of this corresponds
      to the theory of the "Great Omission" in Luke, but could equally
      well be the "Great Insertion" in a later version of Mark than
      the one Luke saw. Dennis Goffin Chorleywood UK
      -------------------

      Interesting question. Given the complexities one can point
      to those places where Maloney identified specific Semitisms.
      It is much harder to be confident about absence of Semitisms.
      - Looking again at his list he puts "passim" in places where
      something is possible in Greek but not rare i.e. his G2 G3 and G4
      categories (attested but infrequent, frequent, or normal in Greek).
      Some of the G2 items (attested but infrequent in Greek) might be
      deemed to be Semitisms or near Semitisms by some scholars. Maloney
      himself lists some G2 and G3 items as being more frequent due
      to Hebrew, Aramaic, or OG influence.

      However in the case of Luke's "Great Omission", equivalent to Mark
      6.45-8.26, one can find in Maloney's lists (pp.246-252) specific
      Semitisms at 7.10, 11, 12, 25 and 8.2. I use the adjective specific
      meaning that Maloney gives a specific category of Semitism for each
      of these items.

      I would not argue that this proves the passage to be in Mark prior to
      Luke's work, but it does seem to point in that direction. (The issue is
      less acute of course if one thinks Matthew prior to Luke.)

      But it is quite a while since I read through all this in proper detail
      and my notes are not complete.