My pre-Markan PN

  • lmbarre@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2013
      Here is my pre-Markan PN (14:1-15:39*). It is quite short, missing only the
      arrest episode which Mark has replaced.

      The pre-Markan Passion Narrative
      14:1 Now the Passover and Unleavened Bread were two days away ; and the
      chief priests and the scribes were seeking how to seize Him by stealth and
      kill Him; 2 for they were saying, "Not during the festival, otherwise there
      might be a riot of the people." 10 Then Judas Iscariot, who was one of the
      twelve, went off to the chief priests in order to betray Him to them. 11
      They were glad when they heard this, and promised to give him money. And he
      began seeking how to betray Him at an opportune time.
      [PN arrest episode replaced by Markan version]
      53 They led Jesus away to the high priest ; and all the chief priests and
      the elders and the scribes gathered together.
      55 Now the chief priests and the whole Council kept trying to obtain
      testimony against Jesus to put Him to death, and they were not finding any.
      56 For many were giving false testimony against Him, but their testimony was
      not consistent. The high priest stood up and came forward and questioned
      Jesus, saying, "Will you not answer, against what is it that these men are
      testifying against You?" 61 But He kept silent and did not answer. Again the
      high priest was questioning Him, and saying to Him, "Are You the Christ, the
      Son of the Blessed One?" 62 And Jesus said, "I am ; and you shall see THE
      SON OF MAN SITTING AT THE RIGHT HAND OF POWER, and COMING WITH THE CLOUDS OF
      HEAVEN." 63 Tearing his clothes, the high priest said, "What further need do
      we have of witnesses ? 64 "You have heard the blasphemy ; how does it seem
      to you?" And they all condemned Him to be deserving of death. 65 Some began
      to spit at Him, and to blindfold Him, and to beat Him with their fists, and
      to say to Him, "Prophesy!" And the officers received Him with slaps in the
      face.
      16 The soldiers took Him away into the palace (that is, the Praetorium), and
      they called together the whole Roman cohort. 17 They dressed Him up in
      purple, and after twisting a crown of thorns, they put it on Him; 18 and
      they began to acclaim Him, "Hail, King of the Jews !" 19 They kept beating
      His head with a reed, and spitting on Him, and kneeling and bowing before
      Him. 20 After they had mocked Him, they took the purple robe off Him and put
      His own garments on Him. And they led Him out to crucify Him.
      25 It was the third hour when they crucified Him. 26 The inscription of the
      charge against Him read, "THE KING OF THE JEWS." 27 They crucified two
      robbers with Him, one on His right and one on His left. 34 At the ninth hour
      Jesus cried out with a loud voice, "ELOI, ELOI, LAMA SABACHTHANI ?" which is
      translated, "MY GOD, MY GOD, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?" 35 When some of the
      bystanders heard it, they began saying, "Behold, He is calling for Elijah."
      36 Someone ran and filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on a reed, and
      gave Him a drink, [but the rest said], "Let us see whether Elijah will come
      to take Him down." 37 And Jesus uttered a loud cry, and breathed His last.
      39 When the centurion, who was standing right in front of Him, saw the way
      He breathed His last, he said, "Truly this man was a son of a god!"

      Using PN as an index, and other criteria to distinguish Mark from pMark
      mentioned previously, I would assign the passages you cite to the Markan
      redaction of pMark, not to pMark.

      LM Barré