Jesus' hamartia

  • lmbarre@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2013

      According to the perspective of PN, Jesus hamartia was his Jewish, messianic
      apocalypticism. According to PN, Jesus backed his claim that he was the
      Messiah but announcing that the high priest (and everybody else) would soon
      witness the fulfillment of Dan 7:13-14, the supernatural establishment of
      the messianic age with Jesus installed as the messianic king. But when
      Jesus felt death coming on, he prayed, "why have you forsaken me?" Jesus'
      death demonstrated to himself the "incredible" conclusion that he was not
      the Messiah. The plot moves from an attitude of Jesus' supreme confidence
      to one of the most abject despair. I think that the author of PN portrays
      Jesus as coming to the tragic hero's anagnorisis, that his death and his
      fate proved to himself that he could not be the Messiah. From the Roman
      perspective of the author, Jesus' hubris and hamartia, his general
      subscription to messianic apocalypticism and more particularly that he was
      the Messiah, the author, so painfully and with some relish chronicles that
      Jesus' messianism to be bogus. His messianic claim was soundly debunked
      and most thoroughly refuted and thus constituted the essence of his passion.
      I think we are to read between the lines, that Jesus, in terms of his own
      Jewish beliefs, received an answer to his Psalm 22:1 prayer. Why did I
      forsake you? Because you are not the Messiah! This moment of anagnorisis
      is indicated by Jesus' last breath utterance--a loud cry. Perhaps if he
      could, he would have plucked out his eyes.

      But our Gentile author has an alternative explanation of what Jesus was--a
      uios theou, or a theios aner, a "divine man." So while Jesus' messianism is
      proven wrong, our author has a different assessment, Gentile assessment to
      explain Jesus, which he puts in the mouth of the centurion, a Roman like
      himself. Thus the author not only reject the messianism of both Jesus and
      his Sanhedrin detractors, he offers an alternative, highly positive
      assessment nonetheless to explain what indeed Jesus was.

      The account is rife with dramatic irony, or surprising outcomes. The
      Sanhedrin turns out to be "right," Jesus turns out to be "wrong," and Jesus
      executioner utters the Aristotelian epiphany about what Jesus was through
      it all. Jesus' hamartia? He thought he was a mythological figure. This
      was his hubris and his fatal flaw.

      You reticence to see here a perfect Aristotelian tragedy seems to simply
      ignore the fact that his characterization and the plot of his fate so
      perfectly conforms to Aristotle's description of the ideal tragedy and its
      tragic hero. Even the issue of detailed, effective diction is shown over
      the fact that Jesus, due to lack of breath, could not pronounce 'elohi, but
      uttered eloi, the difference between a rough and a smooth breathing over the
      omega. For this, he was cruelly mocked.

      On form-critical grounds, the genre of PN is an Aristotelian tragedy as a
      reading of his Poetics shows, a summary of which I have cited. The story is
      profoundly pathetic, inspiring both pity and fear, as a good Aristotelian
      tragedy should.

      The tragedy ultimately scores an important notion about the "forsaking God."
      The tragic hero must run the gambit of his fate. But according to the
      story, Jesus painful realization lasted for but a moment's breath. God did
      let his hero suffer with his most painful anagnorisis for but the shortest
      possible duration. His immediate death following it shows the mercy of a
      seemingly cruel deity. In this lies the catharsis of the story for the

      But, who can believed our report? And to whom can be revealed the arm of