RE: [Synoptic-L] Variant in Lukan version of LP

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 2, 2012
      The same argument would suggest that Marcion’s (shorter) version of the LP pre-dates the one in Lk, and if we had just Marcion’s gospel text (and not the pleadings of Tertullian and Epiphanius regarding his supposed motives) then I feel sure that is how it would be regarded. Anyway, I have written a fair amount on the variants in the LP here https://sites.google.com/site/inglisonmarcion/Home/marcion/marcion-s-gospel-compared-verse-by-verse-with-luke/lk-11 .

      David Inglis, Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 2, 2012
        Matthew, who was not competent in Hebrew or Aramaic, first used a Greek
        translation of an Aramaic source and "tweaked" it a bit to expand/explain
        certain petitions. Luke used an Aramaic document which he translated
        himself, also looked at Matthew and created a shorter version (as was the
        original from Jesus' lips), but also tweaked a bit to explain Aramaic idiom
        in one petition. However we try to disentangle the Matthean and Lukan LP to
        find a form critical version, if one does not appeal to the Aramaic that
        left the lips of Jesus in the first place, one is paddling without an oar. I
        give no credence to a mid second century dualist/docetist. Of course,
        Marcion is the darling of the Jesus mythists.
        Jack

        Jack Kilmon
        Houston, TX