Re: [Synoptic-L] Variant in Lukan version of LP

  • will
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 2, 2012
      There aren't any "You petitions or We petitions" in the prayers of Enoch and the
      Angel [found in 1 Enoch] either.

      The phrase "Hallowed be Thy name" occurs at the beginning of the Enochian prayer
      [61.12] and "thy will be done" seems to me to be implied in the phrase "so shall
      it be unto thee" [71.15].

      So, is it possible that the original "first edition" of Jesus's "Lord's prayer"
      is connected with Enoch?

      --------------------------------------
      [Enoch says]
      God,
      61.12: We bless, and glorify, and extol, and hallow Thy blessed name,
      We glorify and bless Thy name for ever and ever.

      61.13: For great is the mercy of God, and He is long-suffering,
      And all His works and all that He has created
      He has revealed to the righteous and elect In the name of God.

      [The Angel says]
      71.14: This [Enoch] is the Son of Man who is born unto righteousness,
      And righteousness abides over him,
      And the righteousness of the Head of Days forsakes him not.

      71.15: He proclaims unto thee peace in the name of Heaven,
      For from hence has proceeded peace since the creation of the world,
      And so shall it be unto thee for ever and for ever and ever.

      71.16: And all shall walk in his ways since righteousness never forsakes him:
      With him will be their dwelling-places, and with him their heritage,
      And they shall not be separated from him for ever and ever and ever.

      71.17: And so there shall be eternal life with that Son of Man [Enoch],
      And the righteous shall have peace and an upright way
      In the name of God for ever and ever.
      --------------------------------------

      REF: The Book of Enoch - R. H. Charles

      William Penrhiw
      Cardiff, UK

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 2, 2012
        I think it is very likely, Will. I am convinced that Jesus was an Enochian,
        not a Mosaic, Jew. I think little brother Jimmy entered the fray after the
        crucifixion to "rehabilitate" his big brother posthumously.
        Jack

        Jack Kilmon
        Houston, TX

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 2, 2012
          The same argument would suggest that Marcion’s (shorter) version of the LP pre-dates the one in Lk, and if we had just Marcion’s gospel text (and not the pleadings of Tertullian and Epiphanius regarding his supposed motives) then I feel sure that is how it would be regarded. Anyway, I have written a fair amount on the variants in the LP here https://sites.google.com/site/inglisonmarcion/Home/marcion/marcion-s-gospel-compared-verse-by-verse-with-luke/lk-11 .

          David Inglis, Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 2, 2012
            Matthew, who was not competent in Hebrew or Aramaic, first used a Greek
            translation of an Aramaic source and "tweaked" it a bit to expand/explain
            certain petitions. Luke used an Aramaic document which he translated
            himself, also looked at Matthew and created a shorter version (as was the
            original from Jesus' lips), but also tweaked a bit to explain Aramaic idiom
            in one petition. However we try to disentangle the Matthean and Lukan LP to
            find a form critical version, if one does not appeal to the Aramaic that
            left the lips of Jesus in the first place, one is paddling without an oar. I
            give no credence to a mid second century dualist/docetist. Of course,
            Marcion is the darling of the Jesus mythists.
            Jack

            Jack Kilmon
            Houston, TX