RE: [Synoptic-L] Variant in Lukan version of LP

  • Ken Olson
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 29, 2012
      Chuck,

      Ok. 80 is bigger than 25. And 80 is even more times greater than the 1 example I cited from Mk. 11.25.

      But could you explain what would suggest to you that the number of times Matthew uses the word heaven is more relevant to judging the relative priority of a saying of Jesus in which he instructs his disciples in how to pray and includes the entire phrase describing the father as "who is in the heavens" than the one example in Mk. 11.25, which predates both Matthew and Luke?

      And while you're looking at numbers, you might compare how many times Jesus uses the unmodified (no appositive, article, or further descriptor) vocative PATER in the various synoptic gospels.

      Best,

      Ken

      To: Synoptic@yahoogroups.com
      From: chuckjonez@...
      Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 11:32:49 -0800
      Subject: Re: [Synoptic-L] Variant in Lukan version of LP

      Ken,

      By very, very quick count, Mt uses heaven just under 80

      times to Lk's 25. I didn't check Mk because of its shorter overall length. Much of the increase comes from Mt changing "kingdom of god" into "kingdom of heaven."

      Ken wrote:

      "And ὁ ἐν τοῖς οὐρανοῖς is not "particularly" Matthean. It's found as a description of the Father in Jesus' instruction on prayer in Mk. 11.25."

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 29, 2012
        Ken,

        You and I have access to the same data.  And I'm sure you're aware that a standard interpretation of data like this is that it is more likely that Mt added a favorite word to Lk than Lk omitted the phrase.  I can add nothing new to the standard argument (which I find persuasive in this case).

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 30, 2012
          Though I was not wholly persuaded by the 1956
          article by Leaney, I was surprised at the range
          of evidence he cited in favour of Gregory of
          Nyssa's variant, and the fact that there is much
          more to be said for it both in terms of its Jewish
          context, and its place in early Christian practice.
          I was surprised by the extent of the evidence, not
          by the fact that Leaney did a thorough job on it -
          though I only had time to give it a very quick read.

        • Jgibson
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 30, 2012
            On 11/30/2012 4:40 AM, David Mealand wrote:
            > Though I was not wholly persuaded by the 1956
            > article by Leaney, I was surprised at the range
            > of evidence he cited in favour of Gregory of
            > Nyssa's variant, and the fact that there is much
            > more to be said for it both in terms of its Jewish
            > context, and its place in early Christian practice.
            > I was surprised by the extent of the evidence, not
            > by the fact that Leaney did a thorough job on it -
            > though I only had time to give it a very quick read.
            >
            > David M.
            >
            > ---------
            > David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

            I can't seem to locate the article in my files.. JSTOR has only the
            first page of it available. Does anyone here has a scan of it?

            Jeffrey

            --
            ---
            Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.

          • will
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 2, 2012
              There aren't any "You petitions or We petitions" in the prayers of Enoch and the
              Angel [found in 1 Enoch] either.

              The phrase "Hallowed be Thy name" occurs at the beginning of the Enochian prayer
              [61.12] and "thy will be done" seems to me to be implied in the phrase "so shall
              it be unto thee" [71.15].

              So, is it possible that the original "first edition" of Jesus's "Lord's prayer"
              is connected with Enoch?

              --------------------------------------
              [Enoch says]
              God,
              61.12: We bless, and glorify, and extol, and hallow Thy blessed name,
              We glorify and bless Thy name for ever and ever.

              61.13: For great is the mercy of God, and He is long-suffering,
              And all His works and all that He has created
              He has revealed to the righteous and elect In the name of God.

              [The Angel says]
              71.14: This [Enoch] is the Son of Man who is born unto righteousness,
              And righteousness abides over him,
              And the righteousness of the Head of Days forsakes him not.

              71.15: He proclaims unto thee peace in the name of Heaven,
              For from hence has proceeded peace since the creation of the world,
              And so shall it be unto thee for ever and for ever and ever.

              71.16: And all shall walk in his ways since righteousness never forsakes him:
              With him will be their dwelling-places, and with him their heritage,
              And they shall not be separated from him for ever and ever and ever.

              71.17: And so there shall be eternal life with that Son of Man [Enoch],
              And the righteous shall have peace and an upright way
              In the name of God for ever and ever.
              --------------------------------------

              REF: The Book of Enoch - R. H. Charles

              William Penrhiw
              Cardiff, UK

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 2, 2012
                I think it is very likely, Will. I am convinced that Jesus was an Enochian,
                not a Mosaic, Jew. I think little brother Jimmy entered the fray after the
                crucifixion to "rehabilitate" his big brother posthumously.
                Jack

                Jack Kilmon
                Houston, TX

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 2, 2012
                  The same argument would suggest that Marcion’s (shorter) version of the LP pre-dates the one in Lk, and if we had just Marcion’s gospel text (and not the pleadings of Tertullian and Epiphanius regarding his supposed motives) then I feel sure that is how it would be regarded. Anyway, I have written a fair amount on the variants in the LP here https://sites.google.com/site/inglisonmarcion/Home/marcion/marcion-s-gospel-compared-verse-by-verse-with-luke/lk-11 .

                  David Inglis, Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 2, 2012
                    Matthew, who was not competent in Hebrew or Aramaic, first used a Greek
                    translation of an Aramaic source and "tweaked" it a bit to expand/explain
                    certain petitions. Luke used an Aramaic document which he translated
                    himself, also looked at Matthew and created a shorter version (as was the
                    original from Jesus' lips), but also tweaked a bit to explain Aramaic idiom
                    in one petition. However we try to disentangle the Matthean and Lukan LP to
                    find a form critical version, if one does not appeal to the Aramaic that
                    left the lips of Jesus in the first place, one is paddling without an oar. I
                    give no credence to a mid second century dualist/docetist. Of course,
                    Marcion is the darling of the Jesus mythists.
                    Jack

                    Jack Kilmon
                    Houston, TX