Thomas at SBL [was Re: [Synoptic-L] Alpha Christianity Planning Session at SBL (19 Nov)]

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2012
      On 11 November 2012 14:02, E Bruce Brooks <ebbrooks@...> wrote:

      > 2. Another possible representative is the also non-Resurrection Gospel of
      > Thomas, the full Coptic version of which was discovered in 1945 and
      > immediately became popular with the large reading public. Interest, both
      > popular and scholarly, still continues. There seems to be no Thomas
      > section
      > at SBL, though there are papers on the Infancy Gospel of Thomas and other
      > relevant texts on other panels, and two successive meetings of the Nag
      > Hammadi and Gnosticism section, on Sunday 17 Nov, at 9 and again at 1:30,
      > both, conveniently enough, in the same room: McCormick Place West 194A.

      Don't forget also the following session, with apologies for
      self-promotion!, which is a discussion of my Thomas and the Gospels &
      Simon Gathercole's The Composition of the Gospel of Thomas:

      Extent of Theological Diversity in Earliest Christianity
      Joint Session With: Extent of Theological Diversity in Earliest
      Christianity, Nag Hammadi and Gnosticism
      11/19/2012
      4:00 PM to 6:30 PM
      Room: W179b - McCormick Place
      Theme: Thomas Among the Gospels
      A panel review and discussion of two new books on Thomas: Simon J.
      Gathercole, The Composition of the Gospel of Thomas: Original Language
      and Influences (SNTSMS 151; Cambridge University Press, 2012); and
      Mark Goodacre, Thomas and the Gospels: The Case for Thomas'
      Familiarity with the Synoptics (Eerdmans, 2012).

      Jeffrey Peterson, Austin Graduate School Of Theology, Presiding
      Nicola Denzey Lewis, Brown University, Panelist (15 min)
      Stephen Patterson, Willamette University, Panelist (15 min)
      Christopher Tuckett, University of Oxford, Panelist (15 min)
      Simon Gathercole, University of Cambridge, Respondent (15 min)
      Mark Goodacre, Duke University, Respondent (15 min)
      Break (10 min)
      Discussion (65 min)

      All best
      Mark