Re: [Synoptic-L] earliest critical scholarly study of the LP

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2012
      Kamphausen's book is presumably this one, and though in theory
      I should have access to it, I haven't navigated the obstacles
      as yet.

      Das Gebet des Herrn
      Author: Adolf Kamphausen
      Publisher: Elberfeld : R.L. Friderichs, 1866.
      Series: (ATLA monograph preservation program ; ATLA fiche 1993-2055)
      Edition/Format: eBook : GermanView all editions and formats

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
        If one compares Wetstein with the earlier work by Matthew Poole,
        Synopsis criticorum ...commentatorum (1694) on Matthew 6.9-10
        the earlier work does cite Berakot fol 40.2 to the effect that prayer
        which does not mention the kingdom is not prayer,
        but apart from that it mainly focuses on the meaning of the words
        in related biblical passages and in a theological setting. The difference
        is that Wetstein is evidently much more aware of the need for historical
        contextualization. The works Poole is using are learned and detailed,
        but in the passage used for comparison they lack this historical element.
        Wetstein is more aware of the context in Judaism of the Graeco-Roman period.

        In the course of locating the web page for the work I inadvertently
        clicked something which sent a repeat of an email from earlier
        this year, for which I apologise.