Re: [Synoptic-L] earliest critical scholarly study of the LP

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 29, 2012
      Wetstein gives a lot of passages from Jewish and
      Graeco-Roman texts relevant to whatever verse in the NT
      he is at. On 6.10 for example he cites Berakot and two
      rabbis who say a "benedictio" has to mention the name of God
      and the kingdom; he also cites Tanchuma , Sota, and "Jewish
      Prayers" including the Kaddisch - he gives 7 or 8 lines of
      detail here,including mention of Kingdom, redemption, and Messiah.
      By the time W gets to the doxology he has covered
      over 3 folio pages of double columns of text. By then he has
      also cited Aristotle, Epictetus and Diodorus as well as more
      Jewish and early Christian sources.

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 30, 2012
        Kamphausen's book is presumably this one, and though in theory
        I should have access to it, I haven't navigated the obstacles
        as yet.

        Das Gebet des Herrn
        Author: Adolf Kamphausen
        Publisher: Elberfeld : R.L. Friderichs, 1866.
        Series: (ATLA monograph preservation program ; ATLA fiche 1993-2055)
        Edition/Format: eBook : GermanView all editions and formats

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
          If one compares Wetstein with the earlier work by Matthew Poole,
          Synopsis criticorum ...commentatorum (1694) on Matthew 6.9-10
          the earlier work does cite Berakot fol 40.2 to the effect that prayer
          which does not mention the kingdom is not prayer,
          but apart from that it mainly focuses on the meaning of the words
          in related biblical passages and in a theological setting. The difference
          is that Wetstein is evidently much more aware of the need for historical
          contextualization. The works Poole is using are learned and detailed,
          but in the passage used for comparison they lack this historical element.
          Wetstein is more aware of the context in Judaism of the Graeco-Roman period.

          In the course of locating the web page for the work I inadvertently
          clicked something which sent a repeat of an email from earlier
          this year, for which I apologise.