Re: [Synoptic-L] earliest critical scholarly study of the LP

  • Jgibson
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 29, 2012
      On 9/29/2012 5:32 AM, David Mealand wrote:
      > Maybe the bidding could be opened with the
      > suggestion of looking at what Reimarus had
      > to say about the Kingdom. But maybe there
      > could be something earlier than the late
      > 18th C.
      >
      > David M.
      I checked Reimarus. Nothing there that I could see. Then I had the
      idea of looking at the discussion of the LP in the Meyer Commentary on
      Matthew. Looks like there was quite a bit of discussion of the prayer
      that was intent to set it in a first century context beginning at least
      with Wetstein in 1751 or so. Meyer also mentions several studies of the
      LP that he relies upon -- among them those of Kamphausen, d. Oebet d.
      Ilcrrn, 1866 ; J. Hanne,
      in d. Jahrb. f. D. Th. 1806, p. 507 ff.

      Does anyone have any information on these authors and these works?

      Jeffrey

      --
      ---
      Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 29, 2012
        Wetstein gives a lot of passages from Jewish and
        Graeco-Roman texts relevant to whatever verse in the NT
        he is at. On 6.10 for example he cites Berakot and two
        rabbis who say a "benedictio" has to mention the name of God
        and the kingdom; he also cites Tanchuma , Sota, and "Jewish
        Prayers" including the Kaddisch - he gives 7 or 8 lines of
        detail here,including mention of Kingdom, redemption, and Messiah.
        By the time W gets to the doxology he has covered
        over 3 folio pages of double columns of text. By then he has
        also cited Aristotle, Epictetus and Diodorus as well as more
        Jewish and early Christian sources.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 30, 2012
          Kamphausen's book is presumably this one, and though in theory
          I should have access to it, I haven't navigated the obstacles
          as yet.

          Das Gebet des Herrn
          Author: Adolf Kamphausen
          Publisher: Elberfeld : R.L. Friderichs, 1866.
          Series: (ATLA monograph preservation program ; ATLA fiche 1993-2055)
          Edition/Format: eBook : GermanView all editions and formats

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
            If one compares Wetstein with the earlier work by Matthew Poole,
            Synopsis criticorum ...commentatorum (1694) on Matthew 6.9-10
            the earlier work does cite Berakot fol 40.2 to the effect that prayer
            which does not mention the kingdom is not prayer,
            but apart from that it mainly focuses on the meaning of the words
            in related biblical passages and in a theological setting. The difference
            is that Wetstein is evidently much more aware of the need for historical
            contextualization. The works Poole is using are learned and detailed,
            but in the passage used for comparison they lack this historical element.
            Wetstein is more aware of the context in Judaism of the Graeco-Roman period.

            In the course of locating the web page for the work I inadvertently
            clicked something which sent a repeat of an email from earlier
            this year, for which I apologise.