RE: [Synoptic-L] 'Wife of Jesus' reference in Coptic 4th Century script

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 19 10:04 AM
      Mark, thank you. I find the opening lines of Karen King’s article strange. She writes:

      “Published here for the first time is a fragment of a fourth-century CE codex in Coptic containing a dialogue between Jesus and his disciples in which Jesus speaks of “my wife.” This is the only extant ancient text which explicitly portrays Jesus as referring to a wife. It does not, however, provide evidence that the historical Jesus was married, given the late date of the fragment and the probable date of original composition only in the second half of the second century. Nevertheless, if the second century date of composition is correct, the fragment does provide direct evidence that claims about Jesus’s marital status first arose over a century after the death of Jesus in the context of intra-Christian controversies over sexuality, marriage, and discipleship.”

      I understand what leads her to date the original to the 2nd half of the 2nd century (GThomas, GMary, etc.), but even if this is correct, how does this provide evidence that there was nothing written about Jesus’ marital status prior to it? Surely the best we can say is that the fragment places the marital issue at least as early as the 2nd half of the 2nd century, but says nothing about when the claims actually arose?

      David Inglis, Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 19 12:39 PM
        David and all

        The use of the term wife may have been merely a reference to the Church itself as the bride of Christ and not necessarily an individual woman.

        Prof. Giovanni "John" N. Lupia III
        Parenti, Italia, New Jersey, USA; Beirut, Lebanon
        God Bless Everyone

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 20 12:55 PM
          A papyrus fragment that is cut with scissors, unprovenanced and an anonymous
          owner. The non-scribal Coptic hand is the worst I have ever seen. I will
          wait for the forensic and paleographic examination before putting the seal
          of certainty on my conclusion this is a fake.

          Jack Kilmon

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 20 2:53 PM
            Shisha-Halevy, a Coptic expert at Hebrew University in Jerusalem, has
            examined the fragment and considers it genuine. I don't know his reasons,
            however.

            Jeffery Hodges

            Ewha Womans University

            On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > A papyrus fragment that is cut with scissors, unprovenanced and an
            > anonymous
            > owner. The non-scribal Coptic hand is the worst I have ever seen. I will
            > wait for the forensic and paleographic examination before putting the seal
            > of certainty on my conclusion this is a fake.
            >
            > Jack Kilmon

          • Jack Kilmon
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 21 12:32 PM
              If Ariel Shisha-Halevi thinks it genuine, that is good enough for me. He
              has held it in his hands and that makes all the difference.

              Jack Kilmon

              Shisha-Halevy, a Coptic expert at Hebrew University in Jerusalem, has
              examined the fragment and considers it genuine. I don't know his reasons,
              however.

              Jeffery Hodges

              Ewha Womans University

              On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > A papyrus fragment that is cut with scissors, unprovenanced and an
              > anonymous
              > owner. The non-scribal Coptic hand is the worst I have ever seen. I will
              > wait for the forensic and paleographic examination before putting the seal
              > of certainty on my conclusion this is a fake.
              >
              > Jack Kilmon

            • Horace Jeffery Hodges
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 21 12:51 PM
                I'm at my home computer now and can provide a link to the *NYT* article
                that cites Shisha-Halevi:

                http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/us/historian-says-piece-of-papyrus-refers-to-jesus-wife.html?pagewanted=all&_moc.semityn.www

                Ariel Shisha-Halevy, an eminent Coptic linguist at Hebrew University in
                Jerusalem, was consulted, and said in an e-mail in September, �I believe --
                on the basis of language and grammar -- the text is authentic.�

                Unclear is whether he held the actual fragment in his hands. He may only
                have seen a photo.

                Jeffery Hodges

              • Mark Goodacre
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 21 1:14 PM
                  "Ariel Shisha-Halevy, Professor of Linguistics at Hebrew University,
                  Jerusalem, was sent those high resolution digital photographs, a
                  transcription of the fragment, and (with the permission of the editors
                  of Harvard Theological Review) a copy of the third reviewer’s detailed
                  evaluation, and was asked to offer his judgement about the fragment’s
                  authenticity with regard to his area of expertise, Coptic linguistics"
                  (from King's draft article at
                  http://www.hds.harvard.edu/sites/hds.harvard.edu/files/attachments/faculty-research/research-projects/the-gospel-of-jesuss-wife/29865/King_JesusSaidToThem_draft_0920.pdf
                  ). All best, Mark

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 21 4:00 PM
                    Mark, thanks for posting that. It fills in the gaps.

                    Jeffery Hodges