RE: [Synoptic-L] 'Wife of Jesus' reference in Coptic 4th Century script

  • Greg Crawford
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 19, 2012
      How does one decide that a fragment of papyrus 4 x 8 cms is part of a "Gospel"?
      Or is anything that mentions Jesus a "Gospel" these days?

      Greg Crawford

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 19, 2012
        Mark, thank you. I find the opening lines of Karen King’s article strange. She writes:

        “Published here for the first time is a fragment of a fourth-century CE codex in Coptic containing a dialogue between Jesus and his disciples in which Jesus speaks of “my wife.” This is the only extant ancient text which explicitly portrays Jesus as referring to a wife. It does not, however, provide evidence that the historical Jesus was married, given the late date of the fragment and the probable date of original composition only in the second half of the second century. Nevertheless, if the second century date of composition is correct, the fragment does provide direct evidence that claims about Jesus’s marital status first arose over a century after the death of Jesus in the context of intra-Christian controversies over sexuality, marriage, and discipleship.”

        I understand what leads her to date the original to the 2nd half of the 2nd century (GThomas, GMary, etc.), but even if this is correct, how does this provide evidence that there was nothing written about Jesus’ marital status prior to it? Surely the best we can say is that the fragment places the marital issue at least as early as the 2nd half of the 2nd century, but says nothing about when the claims actually arose?

        David Inglis, Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 19, 2012
          David and all

          The use of the term wife may have been merely a reference to the Church itself as the bride of Christ and not necessarily an individual woman.

          Prof. Giovanni "John" N. Lupia III
          Parenti, Italia, New Jersey, USA; Beirut, Lebanon
          God Bless Everyone

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 20, 2012
            A papyrus fragment that is cut with scissors, unprovenanced and an anonymous
            owner. The non-scribal Coptic hand is the worst I have ever seen. I will
            wait for the forensic and paleographic examination before putting the seal
            of certainty on my conclusion this is a fake.

            Jack Kilmon

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 20, 2012
              Shisha-Halevy, a Coptic expert at Hebrew University in Jerusalem, has
              examined the fragment and considers it genuine. I don't know his reasons,
              however.

              Jeffery Hodges

              Ewha Womans University

              On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > A papyrus fragment that is cut with scissors, unprovenanced and an
              > anonymous
              > owner. The non-scribal Coptic hand is the worst I have ever seen. I will
              > wait for the forensic and paleographic examination before putting the seal
              > of certainty on my conclusion this is a fake.
              >
              > Jack Kilmon

            • Jack Kilmon
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 21, 2012
                If Ariel Shisha-Halevi thinks it genuine, that is good enough for me. He
                has held it in his hands and that makes all the difference.

                Jack Kilmon

                Shisha-Halevy, a Coptic expert at Hebrew University in Jerusalem, has
                examined the fragment and considers it genuine. I don't know his reasons,
                however.

                Jeffery Hodges

                Ewha Womans University

                On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > A papyrus fragment that is cut with scissors, unprovenanced and an
                > anonymous
                > owner. The non-scribal Coptic hand is the worst I have ever seen. I will
                > wait for the forensic and paleographic examination before putting the seal
                > of certainty on my conclusion this is a fake.
                >
                > Jack Kilmon

              • Horace Jeffery Hodges
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 21, 2012
                  I'm at my home computer now and can provide a link to the *NYT* article
                  that cites Shisha-Halevi:

                  http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/us/historian-says-piece-of-papyrus-refers-to-jesus-wife.html?pagewanted=all&_moc.semityn.www

                  Ariel Shisha-Halevy, an eminent Coptic linguist at Hebrew University in
                  Jerusalem, was consulted, and said in an e-mail in September, �I believe --
                  on the basis of language and grammar -- the text is authentic.�

                  Unclear is whether he held the actual fragment in his hands. He may only
                  have seen a photo.

                  Jeffery Hodges

                • Mark Goodacre
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 21, 2012
                    "Ariel Shisha-Halevy, Professor of Linguistics at Hebrew University,
                    Jerusalem, was sent those high resolution digital photographs, a
                    transcription of the fragment, and (with the permission of the editors
                    of Harvard Theological Review) a copy of the third reviewer’s detailed
                    evaluation, and was asked to offer his judgement about the fragment’s
                    authenticity with regard to his area of expertise, Coptic linguistics"
                    (from King's draft article at
                    http://www.hds.harvard.edu/sites/hds.harvard.edu/files/attachments/faculty-research/research-projects/the-gospel-of-jesuss-wife/29865/King_JesusSaidToThem_draft_0920.pdf
                    ). All best, Mark

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 21, 2012
                      Mark, thanks for posting that. It fills in the gaps.

                      Jeffery Hodges