Re: [Synoptic-L] Mk 8:11-12

  • Jgibson
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 10, 2012
      On 9/10/2012 9:01 AM, Greg Crawford wrote:
      > The language of “sign”, σημεῖον, is interesting in Mark’s Gospel and might be more at home in John’s Gospel. If John is correct in associating this narrative with the story of Moses and the manna from heaven in the wilderness, the Pharisees’ request for a sign might simply be a request that the sign of the feeding continue day after day, as it did in Moses’ case. First century Jewish peasants may have had as much interest in daily food handouts as did starving people in the desert. If the traditional narrative could not be fully accommodated to Mark’s themes, it may stand out for that reason.

      If this is the case, and I an extremely doubtful that it is, why
      would Jesus refuse the request? And how would such a request be
      something that probes and examines Jesus' faithfulness as Mark says it
      does? Why would Jesus label the request as something that exhibits the
      faithlessness of the wilderness generation faithlessness, since a
      request to keep on giving manna is the exact opposite of the grumbling
      against manna that the wilderness generation engaged in?

      Leaving aside the fact that the language of "sign" in Mark is not the
      same as it is in John, I don't think you've thought your claim through.

      Jeffrey

      --
      ___

      Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. (Oxon.)