Re: [Synoptic-L] The Achilles heel of the Farrer Theory?

    Message 1 of 40 , Aug 3, 2012
      Mark Goodacre wrote:

      > ..... It may because I am writing in the small hours, but I don't recall
      > having made the claim you attribute to me here about "the superior simplicity"
      > of the Farrer theory. I do appeal to Occam's Razor because I think that the
      > Synoptic Problem is effectively solved without reference to a hypothetical
      > additional literary work, but I realize that not everyone agrees with me on
      > this one.

      Mark,

      My reference to 'superior simplicity' was not intended as a quote, but as a
      phrase which reflects my view of your appeal to Occam's Razor.

      Where I differ of course is in the interpretation of "effectively" in your
      last sentence above, for it seems to me to depend on whether the category of
      "aphorisms" constitutes a significant part of the data which gives rise to
      the synoptic problem. The Farrer Theory handles all other literary
      categories excellently.

      Message 40 of 40 , Aug 29, 2012
        Jeffrey Gibson wrote:

        > How do you know for certain that 1 Cor 1:22 is an allusion to Mt 12:39
        > // Mt 16:4 c.f. Mk 8:12? After all, as we see in Josephus, "Jews"
        > /did/ seek "signs". So Paul may be making a statement about his
        > co-religionists that is based upon his experience/knowledge of them
        > rather than upon anything Jesus said, just as his statement about what
        > Greeks seek is based upon his experience of Greek culture and not
        > anything Jesus said.

        Jeffrey,

        I don't know for certain.

        But there are two arguments that indicate a *probable* link.

        The first involves the immediate context. 1 Cor 1:21-22 includes 'SOFIAS
        ..... KHRUGMATOS ..... IOUDAIOI SHMEIA AITOUSIN .....',
        with which we can compare the logia saying C5 (c.f. Q 11:29-32):
        '... H GENEA AUTH ... SHMEION ZHTEI ..... SOFIAN ..... KHRUGMA .....'
        Thus we have Jews (implicit in the original context of "this generation")
        requesting signs, and we have wisdom and preaching, all three together in
        both Paul and the logia.

        The second involves the wider context of 1 Cor chs. 1-4. This contains a
        cluster of apparent allusions to the logia.

        In addition to 1:21-22 there is 1:26-29 in which Paul wrote "consider your
        call" followed by the threefold repetition of "not many" and "God chose"
        (c.f. the logia saying C2, Mt 22:14).

        Then 1 Cor 2:4 refers to PEIQOIS SOFIAS LOGOIS (persuasive words of wisdom),
        which aptly describes the whole collection of wisdom sayings attributed to
        Jesus.

        Then there are several echoes of the logia: laying a foundation (1 Cor
        3:10-13, c.f. saying A22 'Rock/sand'); being filled, becoming rich and
        reigning (1 Cor 4:8, c.f. saying A1, Blessings); when reviled we bless (1
        Cor 4:12, c.f. saying A8 about loving enemies); kingdom of God associated
        with power (EN DUNAMEI, 1 Cor 4:20, c.f. saying C12, Mk 9:1). [For the first
        three of these Paul/synoptic echoes I am indebted to the section "Paul and
        Q" in Allison's "The Jesus Tradition in Q". Dale Allison surveys several
        possible links, but in the end is not convinced.]

        http://homepage.virgin.net/ron.price/syno_sQet.html