Re: [Synoptic-L] Poirier's article in latest JSNT

    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2012
      I have just downloaded and read through the main argument in John
      Poirier's article. I like the extended emphasis on the realia of ancient
      writing techniques, and the examples from the ancient world which
      are cited. I was slightly surprised that, after the lengthy case made out
      for the possibility of Luke having proceeded in reverse order through
      a source scroll, he then fairly briefly states that actually he doesn't think
      that he did do this. But then I thought that in fact I would agree
      with both propositions - Luke could have done it (on the evidence
      provided), but no
      I also don't think that he did do so. The second section on the wax tablets
      also contains many interesting and useful insights. The possible explanation
      for Luke's major omission is fascinating and ingenious, but rather
      speculative. On most issues, however, I find the article contains many
      valuable insights into how ancient writings were produced, and avoids
      hasty or doctrinaire leaps in favour of particular theories about specific
      texts.

      I would strongly recommend others to read the article.

      Perhaps I could offer one passing suggestion which might appeal to
      those who still take the 2ST seriously - the use of wax tablets could
      also have helped Matthew note down bits of Q (and M) to fit into
      appropriate places in his more topically structured text ;-)

    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2012
        Thanks, David. Good points, all. With respect to Matthew's work on Q and
        M, Derrenbacker has the interesting suggestion that Q may have been in
        codex form and so easier to bob around in. But I like your suggestion
        about Matthew working with wax tablets for this material -- that would also
        help to explain Matthew's "unscrambling" of Q's excellent order of the
        sayings and his rather wooden, thematic re-ordering. [ ;-) ]

        I agree with you about the slight anti-climax on the reverse-scrolling
        issue. In reading the article for the first time, I had assumed that
        Poirier was going to make the argument not only that it was feasible but
        also that it was what he thinks Luke did. But Goulder's argument for the
        reverse-scrolling is problematic because of the correspondences, not
        because of the process.

        But what I like about Poirier's article is that it stimulates the
        imagination to think about the realia -- agreed.

        Mark
        --
        Mark Goodacre
        Duke University

        http://www.markgoodacre.org

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2012
          Having also read the article, although I think it is very good as far as it goes, I am disappointed that it doesn't
          touch on what I consider a major issue with what we see as Luke. This is the significant (to my mind, at least) evidence
          that the first version was not only shorter (e.g. missing at least chapters 1 and 2), and also had material in a
          different order (e.g. swapping Capernaum and Nazareth). As a result, any discussion of how the author of Luke composed
          it should take account of what the initial version most likely contained, and not what it currently contains. For
          example, if "the NA27 text of Luke's Gospel contains 95,972

          letters, while the text of Acts contains 95,838," then I think it very unlikely that this was true for at least the
          initial version of Luke. Consequently, what we see today may well have been 'massaged' so that Luke and Acts both fitted
          on a scroll of the same length, but I very much doubt that this applied to their initial form.

          David Inglis, Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 2, 2012
            David Inglis raises an important issue: he wrote
            ----------
            ...if "the NA27 text of Luke's Gospel contains 95,972
            letters, while the text of Acts contains 95,838," then
            I think it very unlikely that this was true for at least
            the initial version of Luke. Consequently, what we see
            today may well have been 'massaged' so that Luke and Acts
            both fitted on a scroll of the same length, but I very
            much doubt that this applied to their initial form.
            ------------
            I had already indicated some caution about the omission being
            explained by 3 uses of a stack of wax tablets arriving at the
            first of these totals, and matching the three sections of Luke.
            This goes deeper. While I am not wholly persuaded that Luke
            1 & 2 are additions to Luke it is a hypothesis I am willing to
            entertain (as the philosophers are wont to say) in order to
            consider the consequences. The latter are intriguing. If
            Luke 1 & 2 are additions, and if David I's attempts to recover the
            Luke known to Marcion provide evidence for this, then what is
            the status, on this view, of the Lukan preface? I would be very
            interested in David's response to this, as it has implications
            for other aspects of what became the two volume work that got
            attributed to "Luke".

            Hope this isn't too convoluted a question.

            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 3, 2012
              David Mealand wrote:

              > ..... If Luke 1 & 2 are additions, and if David I's attempts to recover the
              > Luke known to Marcion provide evidence for this, then what is the status, on
              > this view, of the Lukan preface?

              David,

              While I can't claim to be able to fit Marcion's text into the history of the
              editions of Luke, the clear implication of my page hypothesis is that the
              original text of Luke did contain the preface. The original with its truly
              majestic opening (1:1-4; 3:1-2) was a codex of 60 pages, and this was
              expanded into a codex of 68 pages corresponding to the extant Luke. This was
              achieved by the addition of the birth narratives (1:5 - 2:52, 7 pages) and
              the Parable of the Pounds (19:12-27, 1 page).

              For what it's worth, I consider the evidence for this text history (seen in
              the light of a successful application of the page hypothesis to all the
              other major NT books) to be overwhelming.

              http://homepage.virgin.net/ron.price/page_head.html

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 3, 2012
                To: Synoptic
                On: Page Theories
                From: Bruce

                Ron (responding to David Inglis): While I can't claim to be able to fit
                Marcion's text into the history of the editions of Luke, the clear
                implication of my page hypothesis is that the original text of Luke did
                contain the preface.

                Bruce: This is a weakness of all page theories: they are vulnerable to
                evidence for interpolation and extension, which unfortunately all the
                Gospels except Matthew seem to contain. At any rate, decision between a page
                theory and another type of theory seems to be possible, which is somewhat
                interesting.

                Ron: The original with its truly majestic opening (1:1-4; 3:1-2) was a codex
                of 60 pages,

                Bruce: The opening is surely impressive; much moreso than the opening of
                Matthew, which I have suggested Luke was imitating, and indeed surpassing.

                Ron: . . . and this was expanded into a codex of 68 pages corresponding to
                the extant Luke. This was achieved by the addition of the birth narratives
                (1:5 - 2:52, 7 pages)

                Bruce: Ron thus incorporates the Birth Narrative into his page theory, which
                preserves that theory against that challenge. I should think, however, that
                the prefaces to Luke and Acts were added at the time that Acts I was added
                to Luke, which as I have earlier suggested there are reasons for thinking
                was later than Luke A. That is,

                (1) Luke A (no Birth narrative, no preface)
                (2) Matthew (contains a skimpy Birth narrative)
                (2) Luke B adds a whammo Birth narrative plus Acts I, and prefaces both

                Ron . . . and the Parable of the Pounds (19:12-27, 1 page).

                Bruce: Ah, the Parable of the Pounds (or Talents). This is not only
                intrusive in Luke, it is intrusive *from Matthew.* The directionality
                argument has been ably (indeed, hilariously) set forth by M Goulder, and
                needs no restatement by me. The upgrading to "ten" servants, which is not
                maintained through the rest of the story, is enough to make Luke here
                secondary to Matthew. Further support for the page theory as Ron here
                outlines it is to be had from the directionality of the Parable of the Feast
                (Lk 14:16-24 ~ Mt 22:1-14), which for many of the same reasons is original
                in Luke. That is, it is part of Luke A, as Ron seems to allow. But the
                implication of this priority of Luke in the Parable of the Feast is that
                Matthew here is secondary to Luke. I have elsewhere argued that there are
                many cases of this (the Sermon on the Mount < Plain being only the most
                extreme). This reverse movement is, I think, fatal to FGH in the form in
                which M Goulder left it. Since I have been unable to convince M Goulder
                during his lifetime, or any subsequent proprietor of the theory, to accept
                this reverse movement as a friendly amendment (so to speak), it becomes
                instead the basis of a rival account of the material. So be it.

                Meanwhile, Ron's Luke is vulnerable to any instances other than the two he
                mentions in which Goulder's account of Luke is correct. I would think that
                there are many of these, otherwise the general lateness of Luke compared to
                Matthew in the Trajectory material would be inexplicable.

                Quite apart from this Matthew question, there are signs of disturbance in
                Luke that point to later intrusion of material in Luke. For example, What
                route did Jesus take to Jerusalem? At the beginning there is a suggestion
                that he took the high road through Samaria, but later in the travel
                narrative he is evidently in Jewish territory, hence the low road along the
                Jordan. The Samaria motif in Luke is associated (as is the symbolic Sending
                of the Seventy, where 70 = 7 = all nations) with the Gentile mission, which
                seems to have been a late idea in Luke. There is a similar geographical
                tension at the end: Jesus appears to disciples on the road to Emmaus, which
                is NW of Jerusalem and implies the high road, but he ascends having led them
                out to Bethany, which is in the other direction and implies the low road. If
                we eliminate from Luke (that is, from our picture of Luke A) everything
                associated with the Gentile Mission, we avoid these little differences, and
                get a geographically consistent Luke A. Which is encouraging, but at the
                cost of making the Seventy etc secondary in Luke; author's later
                improvements not suggested by Matthew.

                Taking it a step further, the ascension in Luke also contradicts the
                ascension in Acts, as many (including Fitzmyer ad loc) have noted. Acts I is
                there precisely to reconcile Gentile and Jewish Christians, so it too (I
                infer) belongs the the Gentile Mission layer in Luke. After these had been
                added to Luke A, we have Luke B + Acts I, and a drastically reshaped picture
                of the history of Christianity.

                I think the evidences for such adjustments in Luke (including Acts, and I
                think we must include Acts in our calculations) are strong. But they are
                consistent neither with the Goulder realization of FGH nor with Ron's page
                theory. They imply more movement, and in more directions, than either of
                those proposals envisions.

                Here, to me, is the direction in which an eventual solution lies.

                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 3, 2012
                  David Mealand wrote:

                  > ..... If Luke 1 & 2 are additions, and if David I's attempts to recover the Luke known to Marcion provide evidence for
                  this, then what is the status, on this view, of the Lukan preface?

                  *** David I: I repeat here some text from my website on Marcion's gospel [Mcg]:

                  In Adv. Marcion, Book IV, Chapter 7, Tertullian reports that Mcg begins:

                  "In the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius [3.1a] (for such is Marcion's proposition) he "came down to the Galilean
                  city of Capernaum," [4:31a]"

                  Epiphanius agrees with Tertullian, stating that:

                  "At the very beginning he [Marcion] excised all of Luke's original discussion - his "inasmuch as many have taken in
                  hand" and so forth, and the material about Elizabeth and the angel's annunciation to the Virgin Mary, John and Zacharias
                  and the birth at Bethlehem; the genealogy and the subject of the baptism. All this he took out and turned his back on
                  and made this the beginning of the Gospel, "In the fifteenth year of Tiberius Caesar," [3:1a] and so on.

                  *** So, both major sources agree that Mcg omitted Lk 1 and 2. However, it is (in my opinion) significant that while
                  Epiphanius comments on these omissions, Tertullian does not. As both delight in noting even minor differences between
                  Mcg and Lk, the fact that Tertullian does not mention Marcion's omission suggests to me that his (probably Old Latin)
                  copy of Lk did not contain these chapters either. Continuing:

                  It has been noted by many (including Brown, Fitzmeyer, Streeter, and Tyson) that v. 3:1 would have been a very good
                  beginning for a gospel, lending weight to the view that this was the case at some point in the development of Lk, with
                  the material in chapters 1 and 2 being added later. On this point Volume III of The Encyclopedia Biblica notes:

                  Finally, as in the case of Mt. so also in that of Lk. we must conjecture that the gospel once was without the first two
                  chapters (1:5-2:52). Lk.'s proem (1:1-4) speaks in favour of this presumption . as also do the facts that the Baptist is
                  in 3:2 introduced like a person who has never yet been mentioned, and that Jesus at Nazareth (4:16-30) appeals in his
                  own vindication simply to his possessing the gift of the Holy Spirit; so also the further fact that the Baptist (7:18 f)
                  allows the question to be raised whether Jesus be the Messiah or not, without knowing anything of the complete
                  information which, according to 1:41-45, his mother possessed."

                  *** Despite points such as this, the general opinion is that Marcion is the guilty party here (i.e. that he removed text
                  from Lk). For example:

                  On this point both Tyson and Gregory comment that Knox wrote:

                  "Marcion would surely not have tolerated this highly 'Jewish' section; but how wonderfully adapted it is to show the
                  nature of Christianity as the true Judaism and thus to answer one of the major contentions of the Marcionites! And one
                  cannot overlook the difficulty involved in the common supposition that Marcion deliberately selected a Gospel which
                  began in so false and obnoxious a way."

                  *** There is actually no evidence (that I have seen) to say that Marcion truncated Lk. There is, however, a great deal
                  of adverse opinion based on the fact that Mcg WAS shorter than what we see as Lk, in particular omitting Lk 1 and 2.
                  Marcion did become labeled the "arch heretic," but it appears to me that this could easily be a reaction to Marcion
                  presenting to the church an 'alpha' (with apologies to Bruce) version of Christianity based on an earlier, shorter,
                  version of Lk that omitted Lk 1 and 2, appears to have Capernaum and Nazareth swapped, omits some parables (including
                  the prodigal son), and is generally western, in particular having a shorter version of Lk 24.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 3, 2012
                    Many thanks to David I for the informative reply,
                    with the specific kind of evidential detail I hoped
                    would be forthcoming. I can't take the issue
                    further just at the moment - going out this evening,
                    but I hope to follow up with some points which
                    relate to Acts as well as to Luke in connection with
                    this.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 4, 2012
                      David Inglis provided detailed evidence for
                      the view that the version of Luke known to
                      (and further adapted by) Marcion lacked all
                      of the first two chapters including the preface.

                      The monograph on Acts by Patricia Walters showed
                      that stylometric evidence points to differences
                      between the style of the seams and summaries in
                      Luke and those in Acts which are significant,
                      often highly significant. This seems to indicate
                      serious problems with the assumption of common
                      authorship.

                      Broad differences of style between Luke and Acts had
                      been noted previously, but the significant differences
                      in passages most likely to be editorial form an
                      important body of fresh evidence. No longer can one
                      rest content with the thought that one would expect
                      some general differences of style given the greater
                      emphasis on the Graeco-Roman context in Acts, or
                      the presence of sources with more Semitic features
                      prior to Luke.

                      Walters' tests are robust. Using different criteria
                      (5 of the most frequent words) and the same method on the
                      same samples also shows significant differences. If
                      the Luke samples and the Acts samples are each partitioned
                      into two sub-samples of seams and summaries then these
                      are internally coherent though externally disparate. A
                      possible line of objection is that some of the Lukan
                      seams contain some words inherited from Mark. If those sections
                      are omitted then Walters results still stand, and the
                      attempted rebuttal fails. Given that these additional
                      tests all corroborate, and in no case cast doubt on the
                      original results, it would seem that the authorship of Acts
                      deserves serious reconsideration.

                      So the further point is to ask whether one should link the
                      contrasting style of seams and summaries in Luke and Acts
                      demonstrated by Walters, with the evidence cited by David Inglis for
                      the late addition of the first two chapters of Luke to that text.
                      But that is something I would hesitate to do without sufficient
                      further evidence to justify a single theory to resolve two
                      puzzles about Luke and Acts which may or may not be related.
                      It is always far easier to spin speculative theories than it
                      is to grind out the hard evidence to give them evidential
                      probability.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 4, 2012
                        To: Synoptic
                        On: Certain Stylometric Results
                        From: Bruce

                        David Mealand in a recent post cited certain stylometric results of Patricia
                        Walters, and ended with a paragraph including this phrase: " So the further
                        point is to ask whether one should link the contrasting style of seams and
                        summaries in Luke and Acts demonstrated by Walters."

                        In view of the uniformly and knowledgeably negative response which Patricia
                        Walters received at her SBL presentation on Luke-Acts recently, I
                        respectfully doubt whether her conclusions can be accepted forthwith as
                        "demonstrated."

                        Her specific results aside, there is a more general point. As David himself
                        points out elsewhere, stylometric indicators tend to be sensitive for style,
                        but less so for authorship, a matter for which they were not designed. That
                        is exactly my own experience over many years with style tests (in English,
                        Chinese, and more recently and tentatively Greek). What we ask, and what our
                        tools are properly capable of giving us, are often divergent. This readily
                        leads to misapplication and misinterpretation in use. It's perhaps
                        questionable as methodology.

                        Not that we aren't going to try, just to see what happens, but what happens
                        should always be interpreted with appropriate reticence.

                        If anyone ever used a style difference test to explore style differences
                        (preferably within what is otherwise likely to be the work of one author), I
                        suspect that we would immediately begin to see profoundly interesting
                        results - answers to questions we have not so far chosen to ask, but which
                        are there for the asking, any day of any week. All we have to do is use the
                        screwdriver to drive the screw, and not to open the paint can.

                        Warmly recommended,

                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 4, 2012
                          Bruce claims I said
                          ---------
                          stylometric indicators tend to be sensitive for style,
                          but less so for authorship, a matter for which they were
                          not designed.
                          --------

                          Not so. What I said was that stylometric tests tend to
                          note genre differences as more prominent than source or
                          author differences. Tests have to be structured to allow
                          for this.

                          I have no idea what people may have said at SBL.
                          My point is that my tests corroborated Walters' findings,
                          giving support I had not expected to a view towards which
                          I had previously been resistant. I have read some of the
                          reviews of the book and noted that most of the points made
                          in resistance to the critique of Lukan authorship of Acts
                          did not deal with the tests reported, but appealed to matters
                          such as similar themes in both works, a line of argument I
                          find particularly unconvincing but not surprising.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 4, 2012
                            I would put it this way: Stylometric tests look for patterns in the usages of various words or phrases when comparing two or more pieces of text. Depending on what words or phrases are used in such a test, we may find patterns that we interpret as being related to genre, style, or authorship. Further, the selection and/or the grouping of the words or phrases used in any such test can affect the patterns seen, as can the particular statistical procedure used. Therefore, I would say that no individual stylometric test can be relied upon, but where several different tests all seem to be showing the same patterns (or lack thereof) of usage of words or phrases then we should be able to, at least, state that the patterns either exist or don’t. Whether this then can be attributed to style, authorship, or something else, is a different question.

                            If we find that the same patterns do exist, or not (at a significant statistical level), in a number of different tests, and have structured our tests to eliminate (or at least minimize) genre differences, then we have a phenomenon that requires an explanation. The question then becomes whether particular patterns of usage are a reliable indicator of authorship or not, which appears to be the sticking point. However, I think we are on safer ground if we say that the lack of common patterns of usage is a good indicator of different authorship than common patterns of usage are an indicator of common authorship. In other words, I think we can at least eliminate some hypotheses in situations where we don’t find the patterns that the hypotheses predict.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 4, 2012
                              E: In view of the uniformly and knowledgeably negative response which
                              Patricia
                              Walters received at her SBL presentation on Luke-Acts recently, I
                              respectfully doubt whether her conclusions can be accepted forthwith as
                              "demonstrated."

                              Walters: With all due respect, I cannot let this pass. I would be
                              interested to know whether you were at my presentation, E. Mikeal Parsons
                              was not convinced by my research, that is true. But, I count David E. Aune
                              and Thomas H. Tobin, S.J., and Richard I. Pervo as experts -- and they
                              were/are convinced. It is a controversial subject, since few have
                              challenged the assumption of unitary authorship. Be careful of speaking to
                              research you may not know enough about...

                              Patricia Walters
                              Rockford College

                              --

                              "To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the
                              affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and

                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 4, 2012
                                Patricia,

                                I was there. The place was packed. There were many objections, not (as might
                                have been expected) from traditionalists offended at a nontraditional idea,
                                but from people seemingly knowledgeable about stylometrics. They questioned,
                                in detail, both the method used and the validity of the associated
                                statistical interpretation of significance.

                                I might add that those wishing Richard Pervo's published opinion of
                                Patricia's book, who didn't receive it a few hours ago via E-mail from RBL,
                                can search it on the SBL site. Its last two lines are perhaps more guarded
                                than accepting. Anyway, here they are, verbatim:

                                "Patricia Walters has now nailed a thesis to the church door. It will be
                                interesting and, one may hope, informative to witness the reactions to her
                                reassessment of the evidence."

                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 4, 2012
                                  To: Synoptic
                                  On: Stylometrics
                                  From: Bruce

                                  In view of David's recent disclaimer, I am perfectly willing to assume sole
                                  ownership of the following principle:

                                  "Stylometric indicators tend to be sensitive for style, but less so for
                                  authorship, a matter for which they were not designed."

                                  To which, as sole owner, I would add the following (adapted from the same
                                  previous note):

                                  "Use of stylometric methods to investigate authorship questions is in
                                  principle a misapplication, and the results should always be interpreted
                                  with appropriate reticence."

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 4, 2012

                                    It is perfectly possible to test stylometric
                                    methods on works of known authorship as David Hoover
                                    has done many times.

                                    Concluding that results so far demand that previously
                                    assumed conclusions be seriously re-examined is not the
                                    same as pre-empting the end result of that process.

                                  • Stephen Carlson
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 4, 2012
                                      On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 4:47 PM, E Bruce Brooks <brooks@...>wrote:

                                      > **
                                      >
                                      > I was there. The place was packed. There were many objections, not (as
                                      > might
                                      > have been expected) from traditionalists offended at a nontraditional idea,
                                      > but from people seemingly knowledgeable about stylometrics. They
                                      > questioned,
                                      > in detail, both the method used and the validity of the associated
                                      > statistical interpretation of significance.

                                      I would not take the reaction to an oral presentation at SBL on something
                                      as technical and mathematical as this topic to be indicative of much of
                                      anything. This is the kind of scholarship that needs to be published and
                                      carefully considered. The value of the questions at such a session is to
                                      make sure that they are (eventually) addressed in the publication.

                                      Stephen
                                      --
                                      Stephen C. Carlson
                                      Ph.D., Duke University