Re: [Synoptic-L] Poirier's article in latest JSNT

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 31, 2012
      On 31 July 2012 12:35, David Inglis <davidinglis2@...> wrote:

      > Excellent. I’ve never understood how anyone could assume that something as
      > long as a gospel could have been written from start to finish without some
      > form of ‘notes’ or other intermediate stage, involving smaller pieces of
      > text which are gathered together before the final thing (whether on a roll
      > or a codex) is written.

      I know what you mean, but these things vary greatly from author to
      author, don' they? I know scholars who just pound out several
      thousand words a day and hardly go back to change them, and others who
      agonize over every word and go through tons of drafts. Or I think of
      Mozart's near perfect scores and Beethoven's messy ones with all sorts
      of crossings-out all over them. If modern writing practice differs so
      greatly, shouldn't we assume by analogy that there would be variation
      between authors in the ancient world too?

      Mark
      --
      Mark Goodacre
      Duke University

      http://www.markgoodacre.org
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 31, 2012
        Mark wrote---
        I know scholars who just pound out several
        thousand words a day and hardly go back to change them,
        ----

        Yes, I remember the story about one scholar who produced
        an amazing output of books. His wife took a call for him one day
        and explained to the caller that he was working on his latest
        tome. That's all right said the caller, I'll just hold on
        till he has finished it.

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2012
          I have just downloaded and read through the main argument in John
          Poirier's article. I like the extended emphasis on the realia of ancient
          writing techniques, and the examples from the ancient world which
          are cited. I was slightly surprised that, after the lengthy case made out
          for the possibility of Luke having proceeded in reverse order through
          a source scroll, he then fairly briefly states that actually he doesn't think
          that he did do this. But then I thought that in fact I would agree
          with both propositions - Luke could have done it (on the evidence
          provided), but no
          I also don't think that he did do so. The second section on the wax tablets
          also contains many interesting and useful insights. The possible explanation
          for Luke's major omission is fascinating and ingenious, but rather
          speculative. On most issues, however, I find the article contains many
          valuable insights into how ancient writings were produced, and avoids
          hasty or doctrinaire leaps in favour of particular theories about specific
          texts.

          I would strongly recommend others to read the article.

          Perhaps I could offer one passing suggestion which might appeal to
          those who still take the 2ST seriously - the use of wax tablets could
          also have helped Matthew note down bits of Q (and M) to fit into
          appropriate places in his more topically structured text ;-)

        • Mark Goodacre
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 1, 2012
            Thanks, David. Good points, all. With respect to Matthew's work on Q and
            M, Derrenbacker has the interesting suggestion that Q may have been in
            codex form and so easier to bob around in. But I like your suggestion
            about Matthew working with wax tablets for this material -- that would also
            help to explain Matthew's "unscrambling" of Q's excellent order of the
            sayings and his rather wooden, thematic re-ordering. [ ;-) ]

            I agree with you about the slight anti-climax on the reverse-scrolling
            issue. In reading the article for the first time, I had assumed that
            Poirier was going to make the argument not only that it was feasible but
            also that it was what he thinks Luke did. But Goulder's argument for the
            reverse-scrolling is problematic because of the correspondences, not
            because of the process.

            But what I like about Poirier's article is that it stimulates the
            imagination to think about the realia -- agreed.

            Mark

            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 1, 2012
              Having also read the article, although I think it is very good as far as it goes, I am disappointed that it doesn't
              touch on what I consider a major issue with what we see as Luke. This is the significant (to my mind, at least) evidence
              that the first version was not only shorter (e.g. missing at least chapters 1 and 2), and also had material in a
              different order (e.g. swapping Capernaum and Nazareth). As a result, any discussion of how the author of Luke composed
              it should take account of what the initial version most likely contained, and not what it currently contains. For
              example, if "the NA27 text of Luke's Gospel contains 95,972

              letters, while the text of Acts contains 95,838," then I think it very unlikely that this was true for at least the
              initial version of Luke. Consequently, what we see today may well have been 'massaged' so that Luke and Acts both fitted
              on a scroll of the same length, but I very much doubt that this applied to their initial form.

              David Inglis, Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 2, 2012
                David Inglis raises an important issue: he wrote
                ----------
                ...if "the NA27 text of Luke's Gospel contains 95,972
                letters, while the text of Acts contains 95,838," then
                I think it very unlikely that this was true for at least
                the initial version of Luke. Consequently, what we see
                today may well have been 'massaged' so that Luke and Acts
                both fitted on a scroll of the same length, but I very
                much doubt that this applied to their initial form.
                ------------
                I had already indicated some caution about the omission being
                explained by 3 uses of a stack of wax tablets arriving at the
                first of these totals, and matching the three sections of Luke.
                This goes deeper. While I am not wholly persuaded that Luke
                1 & 2 are additions to Luke it is a hypothesis I am willing to
                entertain (as the philosophers are wont to say) in order to
                consider the consequences. The latter are intriguing. If
                Luke 1 & 2 are additions, and if David I's attempts to recover the
                Luke known to Marcion provide evidence for this, then what is
                the status, on this view, of the Lukan preface? I would be very
                interested in David's response to this, as it has implications
                for other aspects of what became the two volume work that got
                attributed to "Luke".

                Hope this isn't too convoluted a question.

                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 3, 2012
                  David Mealand wrote:

                  > ..... If Luke 1 & 2 are additions, and if David I's attempts to recover the
                  > Luke known to Marcion provide evidence for this, then what is the status, on
                  > this view, of the Lukan preface?

                  David,

                  While I can't claim to be able to fit Marcion's text into the history of the
                  editions of Luke, the clear implication of my page hypothesis is that the
                  original text of Luke did contain the preface. The original with its truly
                  majestic opening (1:1-4; 3:1-2) was a codex of 60 pages, and this was
                  expanded into a codex of 68 pages corresponding to the extant Luke. This was
                  achieved by the addition of the birth narratives (1:5 - 2:52, 7 pages) and
                  the Parable of the Pounds (19:12-27, 1 page).

                  For what it's worth, I consider the evidence for this text history (seen in
                  the light of a successful application of the page hypothesis to all the
                  other major NT books) to be overwhelming.

                  http://homepage.virgin.net/ron.price/page_head.html

                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 3, 2012
                    To: Synoptic
                    On: Page Theories
                    From: Bruce

                    Ron (responding to David Inglis): While I can't claim to be able to fit
                    Marcion's text into the history of the editions of Luke, the clear
                    implication of my page hypothesis is that the original text of Luke did
                    contain the preface.

                    Bruce: This is a weakness of all page theories: they are vulnerable to
                    evidence for interpolation and extension, which unfortunately all the
                    Gospels except Matthew seem to contain. At any rate, decision between a page
                    theory and another type of theory seems to be possible, which is somewhat
                    interesting.

                    Ron: The original with its truly majestic opening (1:1-4; 3:1-2) was a codex
                    of 60 pages,

                    Bruce: The opening is surely impressive; much moreso than the opening of
                    Matthew, which I have suggested Luke was imitating, and indeed surpassing.

                    Ron: . . . and this was expanded into a codex of 68 pages corresponding to
                    the extant Luke. This was achieved by the addition of the birth narratives
                    (1:5 - 2:52, 7 pages)

                    Bruce: Ron thus incorporates the Birth Narrative into his page theory, which
                    preserves that theory against that challenge. I should think, however, that
                    the prefaces to Luke and Acts were added at the time that Acts I was added
                    to Luke, which as I have earlier suggested there are reasons for thinking
                    was later than Luke A. That is,

                    (1) Luke A (no Birth narrative, no preface)
                    (2) Matthew (contains a skimpy Birth narrative)
                    (2) Luke B adds a whammo Birth narrative plus Acts I, and prefaces both

                    Ron . . . and the Parable of the Pounds (19:12-27, 1 page).

                    Bruce: Ah, the Parable of the Pounds (or Talents). This is not only
                    intrusive in Luke, it is intrusive *from Matthew.* The directionality
                    argument has been ably (indeed, hilariously) set forth by M Goulder, and
                    needs no restatement by me. The upgrading to "ten" servants, which is not
                    maintained through the rest of the story, is enough to make Luke here
                    secondary to Matthew. Further support for the page theory as Ron here
                    outlines it is to be had from the directionality of the Parable of the Feast
                    (Lk 14:16-24 ~ Mt 22:1-14), which for many of the same reasons is original
                    in Luke. That is, it is part of Luke A, as Ron seems to allow. But the
                    implication of this priority of Luke in the Parable of the Feast is that
                    Matthew here is secondary to Luke. I have elsewhere argued that there are
                    many cases of this (the Sermon on the Mount < Plain being only the most
                    extreme). This reverse movement is, I think, fatal to FGH in the form in
                    which M Goulder left it. Since I have been unable to convince M Goulder
                    during his lifetime, or any subsequent proprietor of the theory, to accept
                    this reverse movement as a friendly amendment (so to speak), it becomes
                    instead the basis of a rival account of the material. So be it.

                    Meanwhile, Ron's Luke is vulnerable to any instances other than the two he
                    mentions in which Goulder's account of Luke is correct. I would think that
                    there are many of these, otherwise the general lateness of Luke compared to
                    Matthew in the Trajectory material would be inexplicable.

                    Quite apart from this Matthew question, there are signs of disturbance in
                    Luke that point to later intrusion of material in Luke. For example, What
                    route did Jesus take to Jerusalem? At the beginning there is a suggestion
                    that he took the high road through Samaria, but later in the travel
                    narrative he is evidently in Jewish territory, hence the low road along the
                    Jordan. The Samaria motif in Luke is associated (as is the symbolic Sending
                    of the Seventy, where 70 = 7 = all nations) with the Gentile mission, which
                    seems to have been a late idea in Luke. There is a similar geographical
                    tension at the end: Jesus appears to disciples on the road to Emmaus, which
                    is NW of Jerusalem and implies the high road, but he ascends having led them
                    out to Bethany, which is in the other direction and implies the low road. If
                    we eliminate from Luke (that is, from our picture of Luke A) everything
                    associated with the Gentile Mission, we avoid these little differences, and
                    get a geographically consistent Luke A. Which is encouraging, but at the
                    cost of making the Seventy etc secondary in Luke; author's later
                    improvements not suggested by Matthew.

                    Taking it a step further, the ascension in Luke also contradicts the
                    ascension in Acts, as many (including Fitzmyer ad loc) have noted. Acts I is
                    there precisely to reconcile Gentile and Jewish Christians, so it too (I
                    infer) belongs the the Gentile Mission layer in Luke. After these had been
                    added to Luke A, we have Luke B + Acts I, and a drastically reshaped picture
                    of the history of Christianity.

                    I think the evidences for such adjustments in Luke (including Acts, and I
                    think we must include Acts in our calculations) are strong. But they are
                    consistent neither with the Goulder realization of FGH nor with Ron's page
                    theory. They imply more movement, and in more directions, than either of
                    those proposals envisions.

                    Here, to me, is the direction in which an eventual solution lies.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 3, 2012
                      David Mealand wrote:

                      > ..... If Luke 1 & 2 are additions, and if David I's attempts to recover the Luke known to Marcion provide evidence for
                      this, then what is the status, on this view, of the Lukan preface?

                      *** David I: I repeat here some text from my website on Marcion's gospel [Mcg]:

                      In Adv. Marcion, Book IV, Chapter 7, Tertullian reports that Mcg begins:

                      "In the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius [3.1a] (for such is Marcion's proposition) he "came down to the Galilean
                      city of Capernaum," [4:31a]"

                      Epiphanius agrees with Tertullian, stating that:

                      "At the very beginning he [Marcion] excised all of Luke's original discussion - his "inasmuch as many have taken in
                      hand" and so forth, and the material about Elizabeth and the angel's annunciation to the Virgin Mary, John and Zacharias
                      and the birth at Bethlehem; the genealogy and the subject of the baptism. All this he took out and turned his back on
                      and made this the beginning of the Gospel, "In the fifteenth year of Tiberius Caesar," [3:1a] and so on.

                      *** So, both major sources agree that Mcg omitted Lk 1 and 2. However, it is (in my opinion) significant that while
                      Epiphanius comments on these omissions, Tertullian does not. As both delight in noting even minor differences between
                      Mcg and Lk, the fact that Tertullian does not mention Marcion's omission suggests to me that his (probably Old Latin)
                      copy of Lk did not contain these chapters either. Continuing:

                      It has been noted by many (including Brown, Fitzmeyer, Streeter, and Tyson) that v. 3:1 would have been a very good
                      beginning for a gospel, lending weight to the view that this was the case at some point in the development of Lk, with
                      the material in chapters 1 and 2 being added later. On this point Volume III of The Encyclopedia Biblica notes:

                      Finally, as in the case of Mt. so also in that of Lk. we must conjecture that the gospel once was without the first two
                      chapters (1:5-2:52). Lk.'s proem (1:1-4) speaks in favour of this presumption . as also do the facts that the Baptist is
                      in 3:2 introduced like a person who has never yet been mentioned, and that Jesus at Nazareth (4:16-30) appeals in his
                      own vindication simply to his possessing the gift of the Holy Spirit; so also the further fact that the Baptist (7:18 f)
                      allows the question to be raised whether Jesus be the Messiah or not, without knowing anything of the complete
                      information which, according to 1:41-45, his mother possessed."

                      *** Despite points such as this, the general opinion is that Marcion is the guilty party here (i.e. that he removed text
                      from Lk). For example:

                      On this point both Tyson and Gregory comment that Knox wrote:

                      "Marcion would surely not have tolerated this highly 'Jewish' section; but how wonderfully adapted it is to show the
                      nature of Christianity as the true Judaism and thus to answer one of the major contentions of the Marcionites! And one
                      cannot overlook the difficulty involved in the common supposition that Marcion deliberately selected a Gospel which
                      began in so false and obnoxious a way."

                      *** There is actually no evidence (that I have seen) to say that Marcion truncated Lk. There is, however, a great deal
                      of adverse opinion based on the fact that Mcg WAS shorter than what we see as Lk, in particular omitting Lk 1 and 2.
                      Marcion did become labeled the "arch heretic," but it appears to me that this could easily be a reaction to Marcion
                      presenting to the church an 'alpha' (with apologies to Bruce) version of Christianity based on an earlier, shorter,
                      version of Lk that omitted Lk 1 and 2, appears to have Capernaum and Nazareth swapped, omits some parables (including
                      the prodigal son), and is generally western, in particular having a shorter version of Lk 24.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 3, 2012
                        Many thanks to David I for the informative reply,
                        with the specific kind of evidential detail I hoped
                        would be forthcoming. I can't take the issue
                        further just at the moment - going out this evening,
                        but I hope to follow up with some points which
                        relate to Acts as well as to Luke in connection with
                        this.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 4, 2012
                          David Inglis provided detailed evidence for
                          the view that the version of Luke known to
                          (and further adapted by) Marcion lacked all
                          of the first two chapters including the preface.

                          The monograph on Acts by Patricia Walters showed
                          that stylometric evidence points to differences
                          between the style of the seams and summaries in
                          Luke and those in Acts which are significant,
                          often highly significant. This seems to indicate
                          serious problems with the assumption of common
                          authorship.

                          Broad differences of style between Luke and Acts had
                          been noted previously, but the significant differences
                          in passages most likely to be editorial form an
                          important body of fresh evidence. No longer can one
                          rest content with the thought that one would expect
                          some general differences of style given the greater
                          emphasis on the Graeco-Roman context in Acts, or
                          the presence of sources with more Semitic features
                          prior to Luke.

                          Walters' tests are robust. Using different criteria
                          (5 of the most frequent words) and the same method on the
                          same samples also shows significant differences. If
                          the Luke samples and the Acts samples are each partitioned
                          into two sub-samples of seams and summaries then these
                          are internally coherent though externally disparate. A
                          possible line of objection is that some of the Lukan
                          seams contain some words inherited from Mark. If those sections
                          are omitted then Walters results still stand, and the
                          attempted rebuttal fails. Given that these additional
                          tests all corroborate, and in no case cast doubt on the
                          original results, it would seem that the authorship of Acts
                          deserves serious reconsideration.

                          So the further point is to ask whether one should link the
                          contrasting style of seams and summaries in Luke and Acts
                          demonstrated by Walters, with the evidence cited by David Inglis for
                          the late addition of the first two chapters of Luke to that text.
                          But that is something I would hesitate to do without sufficient
                          further evidence to justify a single theory to resolve two
                          puzzles about Luke and Acts which may or may not be related.
                          It is always far easier to spin speculative theories than it
                          is to grind out the hard evidence to give them evidential
                          probability.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 4, 2012
                            To: Synoptic
                            On: Certain Stylometric Results
                            From: Bruce

                            David Mealand in a recent post cited certain stylometric results of Patricia
                            Walters, and ended with a paragraph including this phrase: " So the further
                            point is to ask whether one should link the contrasting style of seams and
                            summaries in Luke and Acts demonstrated by Walters."

                            In view of the uniformly and knowledgeably negative response which Patricia
                            Walters received at her SBL presentation on Luke-Acts recently, I
                            respectfully doubt whether her conclusions can be accepted forthwith as
                            "demonstrated."

                            Her specific results aside, there is a more general point. As David himself
                            points out elsewhere, stylometric indicators tend to be sensitive for style,
                            but less so for authorship, a matter for which they were not designed. That
                            is exactly my own experience over many years with style tests (in English,
                            Chinese, and more recently and tentatively Greek). What we ask, and what our
                            tools are properly capable of giving us, are often divergent. This readily
                            leads to misapplication and misinterpretation in use. It's perhaps
                            questionable as methodology.

                            Not that we aren't going to try, just to see what happens, but what happens
                            should always be interpreted with appropriate reticence.

                            If anyone ever used a style difference test to explore style differences
                            (preferably within what is otherwise likely to be the work of one author), I
                            suspect that we would immediately begin to see profoundly interesting
                            results - answers to questions we have not so far chosen to ask, but which
                            are there for the asking, any day of any week. All we have to do is use the
                            screwdriver to drive the screw, and not to open the paint can.

                            Warmly recommended,

                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 4, 2012
                              Bruce claims I said
                              ---------
                              stylometric indicators tend to be sensitive for style,
                              but less so for authorship, a matter for which they were
                              not designed.
                              --------

                              Not so. What I said was that stylometric tests tend to
                              note genre differences as more prominent than source or
                              author differences. Tests have to be structured to allow
                              for this.

                              I have no idea what people may have said at SBL.
                              My point is that my tests corroborated Walters' findings,
                              giving support I had not expected to a view towards which
                              I had previously been resistant. I have read some of the
                              reviews of the book and noted that most of the points made
                              in resistance to the critique of Lukan authorship of Acts
                              did not deal with the tests reported, but appealed to matters
                              such as similar themes in both works, a line of argument I
                              find particularly unconvincing but not surprising.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 4, 2012
                                I would put it this way: Stylometric tests look for patterns in the usages of various words or phrases when comparing two or more pieces of text. Depending on what words or phrases are used in such a test, we may find patterns that we interpret as being related to genre, style, or authorship. Further, the selection and/or the grouping of the words or phrases used in any such test can affect the patterns seen, as can the particular statistical procedure used. Therefore, I would say that no individual stylometric test can be relied upon, but where several different tests all seem to be showing the same patterns (or lack thereof) of usage of words or phrases then we should be able to, at least, state that the patterns either exist or don’t. Whether this then can be attributed to style, authorship, or something else, is a different question.

                                If we find that the same patterns do exist, or not (at a significant statistical level), in a number of different tests, and have structured our tests to eliminate (or at least minimize) genre differences, then we have a phenomenon that requires an explanation. The question then becomes whether particular patterns of usage are a reliable indicator of authorship or not, which appears to be the sticking point. However, I think we are on safer ground if we say that the lack of common patterns of usage is a good indicator of different authorship than common patterns of usage are an indicator of common authorship. In other words, I think we can at least eliminate some hypotheses in situations where we don’t find the patterns that the hypotheses predict.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 4, 2012
                                  E: In view of the uniformly and knowledgeably negative response which
                                  Patricia
                                  Walters received at her SBL presentation on Luke-Acts recently, I
                                  respectfully doubt whether her conclusions can be accepted forthwith as
                                  "demonstrated."

                                  Walters: With all due respect, I cannot let this pass. I would be
                                  interested to know whether you were at my presentation, E. Mikeal Parsons
                                  was not convinced by my research, that is true. But, I count David E. Aune
                                  and Thomas H. Tobin, S.J., and Richard I. Pervo as experts -- and they
                                  were/are convinced. It is a controversial subject, since few have
                                  challenged the assumption of unitary authorship. Be careful of speaking to
                                  research you may not know enough about...

                                  Patricia Walters
                                  Rockford College

                                  --

                                  "To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the
                                  affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 4, 2012
                                    Patricia,

                                    I was there. The place was packed. There were many objections, not (as might
                                    have been expected) from traditionalists offended at a nontraditional idea,
                                    but from people seemingly knowledgeable about stylometrics. They questioned,
                                    in detail, both the method used and the validity of the associated
                                    statistical interpretation of significance.

                                    I might add that those wishing Richard Pervo's published opinion of
                                    Patricia's book, who didn't receive it a few hours ago via E-mail from RBL,
                                    can search it on the SBL site. Its last two lines are perhaps more guarded
                                    than accepting. Anyway, here they are, verbatim:

                                    "Patricia Walters has now nailed a thesis to the church door. It will be
                                    interesting and, one may hope, informative to witness the reactions to her
                                    reassessment of the evidence."

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 4, 2012
                                      To: Synoptic
                                      On: Stylometrics
                                      From: Bruce

                                      In view of David's recent disclaimer, I am perfectly willing to assume sole
                                      ownership of the following principle:

                                      "Stylometric indicators tend to be sensitive for style, but less so for
                                      authorship, a matter for which they were not designed."

                                      To which, as sole owner, I would add the following (adapted from the same
                                      previous note):

                                      "Use of stylometric methods to investigate authorship questions is in
                                      principle a misapplication, and the results should always be interpreted
                                      with appropriate reticence."

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 4, 2012

                                        It is perfectly possible to test stylometric
                                        methods on works of known authorship as David Hoover
                                        has done many times.

                                        Concluding that results so far demand that previously
                                        assumed conclusions be seriously re-examined is not the
                                        same as pre-empting the end result of that process.

                                      • Stephen Carlson
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 4, 2012
                                          On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 4:47 PM, E Bruce Brooks <brooks@...>wrote:

                                          > **
                                          >
                                          > I was there. The place was packed. There were many objections, not (as
                                          > might
                                          > have been expected) from traditionalists offended at a nontraditional idea,
                                          > but from people seemingly knowledgeable about stylometrics. They
                                          > questioned,
                                          > in detail, both the method used and the validity of the associated
                                          > statistical interpretation of significance.

                                          I would not take the reaction to an oral presentation at SBL on something
                                          as technical and mathematical as this topic to be indicative of much of
                                          anything. This is the kind of scholarship that needs to be published and
                                          carefully considered. The value of the questions at such a session is to
                                          make sure that they are (eventually) addressed in the publication.

                                          Stephen
                                          --
                                          Stephen C. Carlson
                                          Ph.D., Duke University