RE: [Synoptic-L] Lk 22:17-20 - Blessing or giving thanks?

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 7, 2012
      David M earlier wrote: "I would agree that the longer text is dependent on 1 Cor 11 though I think that it is an
      interpolation, and that the shorter text is original." This is very much my position, except that there is no single
      "shorter text." There are six different extant variants of Lk 22:17-20, of which the Majority Text is the longest. If
      you consider that the parallel passages in Mk and Mt, and also 1 Cor 11:24-25, are other variants of the same text, then
      there are eight variants that are shorter than the Majority Text. The trick is to figure out which can best be
      considered to have given rise to the others. My money is on the Mk/Mt variants giving rise to an early (non-extant) very
      similar variant of Lk, into which 1 Cor 11:24-25 was then interpolated. The problems this caused then gave rise to most
      of the other variants. I'm still polishing my arguments for this scenario, but if anyone would like to see an early
      version please let me know.

      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 9, 2012
        This "McDaniel: Miscellaneous Biblical Studies, Chapter Ten, Recovering Jesus' Words By Which He Iinitiated The
        Eucharist - Thomas F. McDaniel, Ph.D., 2009

        http://tmcdaniel.palmerseminary.edu/MBS_10_Eucharist.pdf appears to bear somewhat on this topic. However, I'm not in any
        way qualified to comment on it.

        David Inglis, Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA