Zeba Crook's Synopsis

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 7, 2012
      Hi everyone,

      Zeba Crook has a nice piece on his new English Gospel Synopsis over on
      the Bible and Interpretation website:

      http://www.bibleinterp.com/articles/cro368004.shtml

      Mark

      --
      Mark Goodacre
      Duke University

      http://www.markgoodacre.org
    • Matson, Mark (Academic)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 8, 2012
        I might chime in here also. The Synoptic Gospels section of SBL in November will have one session devoted to Zeba's new synopsis, especially with an eye to its use in the classroom .

        So if you are coming to Chicago, perhaps join us for that sessin.

        Mark A. Matson
        Milligan College

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2012
          This is really interesting to me, because I am in the final stages of creating a synoptic synopsis of my own. Like Zeba, I found that none of the synopsis I saw provided the information I was looking for, but unlike Zeba, English is (in the main) sufficient for what I need. My main concern with the synopses that I’ve seen is that they only help to identify parallels (or not) in the gospels as we see them, and do not help with issues such as, for example, what Mk’s text might have been at the time the initial version of Lk was created, or even what that initial version of Lk (and I’m convinced there was one) might have contained. To put it in a perhaps more neutral way, synopses generally only compare the final form of each gospel, ignoring any earlier developmental stages. To at least help with this issue I’m trying to identify all significant variants (i.e. where the Greek means something different), with the aim of possibly identifying differences between two gospels, where, for example, taking the variants into account suggests that the two were the same at some earlier point.

          David Inglis, Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11, 2012
            On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 7:25 PM, David Inglis <davidinglis2@...>wrote:

            > **
            >
            > To put it in a perhaps more neutral way, synopses generally only compare
            > the final form of each gospel, ignoring any earlier developmental stages.

            They also ignore later developmental stages.

            Stephen
            --
            Stephen C. Carlson
            Ph.D., Duke University