Re: [Synoptic-L] Leaven of Pharisees and leaven of Herod

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 23, 2012
      Mark,

      I assume we are to understand in Mark 3 that the Pharisees would need the power and influence of the ruling elite in Jerusalem to get Jesus killed.  I think Mk intends irony that the Pharisees would collude with the hated Jerusalem establishment (and it doesn't get more elite than Herod's officials and lackeys) in order to kill Jesus.  I think he also intends irony when the groups join together again to try to trap Jesus in his words.

      The motives of the Jerusalem elite for killing Jesus are alluded a few times in the gospels.  They benefited from law and order prevailing in Judea.  They would have wanted to remove a stand-up comic if said comic had the ability to gather a huge crowd during a festival.  Content didn't matter to them; the potential for social unrest did.