  • Alan Bill
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2012
      Please read following and sign up if you agree:

      Dear friends across Britain,

      We have just days to save the NHS. Opposition from doctors, nurses and patients has rocked the government. Our massive outcry now can persuade undecided members of the House of Lords to say no to the bill on Monday and get the government to publish its report on the risks of these changes. Sign here to save the NHS:

      The battle to save the
      NHS is now entering its final hours. David Cameron and Andrew Lansley seem
      determined to drag Britain’s most famous institution to its grave, but if we now
      stand together we can get the House of Lords to stop this bill in its
      tracks.

      Public outrage is gripping the country as the Prime Minister
      persists with a bill that would dismantle the NHS and open the field to private
      companies. The government refuses to publish its internal report on the risks of
      the reforms, one reason among many why thousands of health professionals and
      many politicians oppose the changes. If we now build a massive outcry we can
      sway our last line of defence -- the House of Lords -- to save the NHS.

      Let’s call on the undecided members in the House of Lords to keep the
      knives off our NHS and ensure we can all read the official risk report --
      sign here and circulate. Our voices will ramp up the pressure as we deliver our
      petition when we reach key milestones between now and Monday:

      http://www.avaaz.org/en/last_chance_to_save_the_nhs/?vl

      The
      coalition promised no top-down reorganisation of the National Health Service.
      Yet it's brought in a bill that threatens to turn large chunks of the NHS over
      on a plate to private health care companies and cost-cutting consultants, threatening a tidal wave of privatisation that will leave our health system
      expensive and fragmented, with many of us getting only low-quality care. Citizens are outraged -- according to the latest polls, over half of us want the
      new bill to be scrapped.

      Public opposition has already delayed the bill
      and forced several amendments, but the government is refusing to halt the
      reforms, wrongly insisting that opponents are just a minority group of
      disgruntled health care professionals and political opponents. The fight for
      the NHS now depends on the 200 members of the House of Lords who don't belong to
      a political party. They aren't used to public scrutiny, so if we target them
      now, we can win and ensure that any reforms of our precious health service are
      done in concert with health professionals and patients.

      We only have
      until Monday to tip the balance. The recommendation to delay the debate
      until after the risk register has been released will throw the NHS a
      lifeline and allow us all to see the likely impact of this bill. Sign the
      petition, and send widely.

      http://www.avaaz.org/en/last_chance_to_save_the_nhs/?vl

      Britain
      is proud of the NHS, which has saved countless lives and won admirers across the
      world. Let’s act now and ensure our health care system stays free for
      all.

      With hope,

      Sam, Antonia, Alex, Alice, Jamie, Ricken and the
      rest of the Avaaz team

      More information:

      NHS reforms: Lib Dem
      divisions resurface as bill returns to parliament (The Guardian)
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/mar/13/nhs-reforms-lib-dem-divisions?newsfeed=true

      Time
      is running out to save the NHS (The Mirror)
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/time-is-running-out-to-help-the-nhs-760964

      NHS
      costs soar as GPs focus on health reforms (The Guardian)
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/mar/12/nhs-reform-gps-too-busy?

      Cabinet
      'revolts against health reforms' (The Telegraph)
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9073613/Cabinet-revolts-against-health-reforms.html

      Cameron
      should scrap NHS bill and drop Lansley, says influential Tory blog (The
      Guardian)
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/feb/10/cameron-scrap-nhs-bill-lansley

      NHS
      Reforms: More Than Half Of Voters Want To See Changes Dropped (Huffington
      Post)
      http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/02/21/nhs-reforms-voters-poll-dropped-health-and-social-care-bill_n_1289969.html?ref=uk

      Alan

      Alan Bill, BD, AKC (King's College, London)
      13 Wilmington Close,
      Newcastle upon Tyne, NE3 2SF
      United Kingdom
      email: alanbill_uk@...