Re: [Synoptic-L] Tertullian, Adv. Marcion IV, chapter 40: "wine" vs. "fruit of the vine"

  • Stephen Carlson
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2012
      On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 5:50 AM, David Mealand <D.Mealand@...> wrote:

      > **
      >
      > vinum = wine but also = grapes. Given a choice
      > Latin writers tend to prefer terse to verbose,
      > "fruit of the vine" is not terse, and Latin can
      > do it with one word.

      Isn't uvae the normal word for grapes? Applying vinum to grapes is a
      common metaphorical usage, right?

      Stephen
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson
      Graduate Program in Religion

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2012
        Happened to be at shelf next to W & W in the library stack
        just after coffee - they print
        de generatione vitis
        then in the apparatus
        generatione (genh/matos): fructu a creatura d
        potione e genimine delta vitis: vineae a d + huius E b f
        cor. vat*

        though I am trying to transcribe what I scribbled
        while balancing a pile of books and notes.
        The f after huius is a long f I think.