Re: [Synoptic-L] Whoever is not with me is against me

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 4, 2012
      BRUCE: ..... tossing all the alleged sayings of Jesus into the same hat, and
      from that hatful identifying the authentic Jesus sayings by their stylistic
      features, as many (including the influential Bultmann) essentially do, is
      worthless.

      RON: That is a parody of what I have done. The web page below and its sequel
      describe a logical approach.

      BRUCE: Methodologically speaking, if we put Gnomic in, we are going to get
      Nice out. The result is circular; that is, it is foreordained. I think the
      whole procedure is invalid.

      RON: What nonsense. There is nothing inherent in the aphoristic style which
      makes their content "nice".

      - - - - - - -

      BRUCE: ..... (1) the Mission to Jews
      came first, and was for a time the whole content of Jesus movement
      proselytizing, and .... (2) the Mission to Gentiles came later.

      RON: Then you should recognize that Mt 10:5b and Mt 10:23 (both of which are
      gnomic) constitute early testimony to an outlook which Mark and Luke
      declined to include in their more gentile-friendly gospels.

      - - - - - - -

      BRUCE: I don't think Mark is pushing anything; I think he is keeping his
      story up to date with what is going on in the Christian movement with which
      he was in touch.

      RON: Mark was an evangelist and the pioneer who created the gospel genre. He
      was no passive recorder.

      - - - - - - -

      BRUCE (earlier): There is a Markan parallel to the Beelzebul Accusation (Mk
      3:22-27), but none to the gathers/scatters verse.

      RON (earlier) : Mark's version of said verse was parked elsewhere (Mk 9:40).

      BRUCE: ..... I have trouble, for reasons repeatedly given above, with the
      verb "parked." It implies a single assembly from a bag of mixed pieces. The
      whole structure of the text tells me different. Mark is a very early
      original consecutive narrative ..... I very much doubt that a text
      assembled from a basketful of disconnected sayings would have the form of a
      consecutive but repeatedly interpolated text.

      RON: Again this is a parody of my position. The backbone is provided by the
      narrative. The aphorisms incorporated in Mark constitute between 5% and 10%
      of the text, and they were inserted at appropriate points in the pre-planned
      structure.

      http://homepage.virgin.net/ron.price/syno_dblt.html