Re: [Synoptic-L] Meanings of Words

  • Keith Yoder
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 25, 2012
      The clause in question in 1 Cor 11:23 reads:

      "in the night in which he was-being-given-over" (ἐν τῇ νυκτὶ ᾗ παρεδίδετο)

      The verb is imperfect tense, suggesting an action that was in process at the
      time.  When was it in process? - "in the night...Jesus took bread, and giving thanks he broke (it) and said..."

      So there was a giving-over process that happened to Jesus, and it occurred "in [that] night".  That doesn't sound to me like Paul is here making a theological statement such as God "gave-over his own son" in Rom 8:32 (and 4:25), or even Jesus "giving-over himself" as in  Gal 2:20.  Rather, it sounds much more like something local and temporal, ie..."historical".

      Can we not at least say that Paul is referring here to some process of events whereby Jesus was "given over" (by somebody?) to somebody (else?), during that night of the Last Supper, which events culminated in his crucifixion.  I don't know if we can even say whether Paul understood that the crucifixion also took place "in [that] night" or after day break...or if it even mattered.  Whether or not Paul considered this a plot of "betrayal" is probably not knowable - but I would say we have to retain it as a possibility.

      Keith