RE: [Synoptic-L] Mark's story of the betrayal of Jesus (was: The temple incident of Mk 11:15-17)

  • Ken Olson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 25, 2012
      BRUCE: >>The same word is used in Mk, repeatedly, of the specific betrayal of

      Judas. I would think that the nuance of "betrayal" is fully available for

      this word, both in Judas contexts and otherwise, and that Paul, in using

      Mark's word, is also, on mere lexical grounds, liable to be interpreted in

      the sense which Mark gives it.<<
      I should think we might give first consideration to the sense in which Paul himself uses the word when writing of Jesus being "given up", e.g. Romans 8:32: "He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all" (cf. Rom. 4.25, Gal. 2.20).

      Best,
      Ken
      Ken OlsonPhD CandidateReligion
      Duke University

    • Jgibson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 25, 2012
        On 1/25/2012 11:36 AM, E Bruce Brooks wrote:

        > BRUCE: Strong 3860. The word basically means "hand on" (in the sense of
        > transmit; saepe, eg 1Cor 11:2, Rom 6:17, Ac 6:14 of Mosaic tradition) or
        > "hand over" (deliver to the authorities; also saepe, eg Mk 27:2, of the
        > Sanhedrin to Pilate).

        Let me get this straight: You use Strongs (which is NOT, despite what
        it labels itself to be, a Lexicon, but a notation of what the KJV
        translators thought was the best English equivalent for a Greek word in
        a particular passage) as your guide to the "basic sense" (good god!)
        and the semantic range of Greek words ion first century writings????

        Jeffrey

        --
        ---
        Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.