Galilean traditions RE: [Synoptic-L] Hultgren's synoptic source theory (was: Healings and order arguments)

  • Bob Schacht
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2011
      At 08:14 AM 11/9/2011, Matson, Mark (Academic) wrote:

      >Bob, on this analysis I would rather strongly disagree. I do think
      >there are two traditions, though I doubt that geography is the major
      >issue. But IF geography is the issue, I think your analysis is backward.
      >
      >It is John that is almost entirely focused on Jerusalem, with very
      >few references to Galilee. Note that most of the controversies take
      >place at Jerusalem in festivals, and that Jesus is in Jerusalem
      >numerous times (3X for Passover, 1x for Tabernacles, 1x for "another
      >feast", 1X for Hannukah). Of course John (and Luke, but that
      >John-Luke relationship is a different issue) have the post
      >resurrection activity in Jerusalem, including real visitations by
      >the risen Jesus and the giving of the spirit.
      >
      >On the other hand, the synoptics are placed mostly in Galilee. And
      >Jesus engages the Pharisees more, and the Pharisees may well have
      >been more influential in Galilee than in Jerusalem. While Mark
      >ends abruptly, Matthew has the "meeting with Jesus" set in Galilee.
      >
      >So... for me the focus is entirely backward for yours.

      Mark,
      Thanks for your more thorough and thoughtful comments than mine.
      Unfortunately, I don't have the time to follow up right now, but I
      think this is something that needs more examination.

      More generally, I think we are on the threshold of better
      understanding the currents and counter-currents among First Century
      followers of Jesus.

      Bob Schacht
      Northern Arizona University