Re: [Synoptic-L] when is a verse not a verse?

  • Emmanuel Fritsch
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 7, 2011
      Stephen Carlson a écrit :

      > On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 4:30 PM, David Mealand <D.Mealand@...
      > <mailto:D.Mealand%40ed.ac.uk>> wrote:
      >
      > I usually heard it joked that every time there was a bump in the road,
      > a new
      > verse came into being.

      For the bump, I did not know, but the horse travel is considered to be
      true in France.
      The scholar was the great printer, publisher and editor Robert Estienne.

      Some details and other stuff (including a reference in english) in :

      http://books.google.com/books?id=ULHVwKJYO38C&lpg=PA54&ots=qLLSqRnDUL&dq=d%C3%A9coupage%20des%20versets%20estienne&pg=PA54#v=onepage&q=d%C3%A9coupage%20des%20versets%20estienne&f=false

      a+
      manu
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 7, 2011
        Don't know if it's true, but I heard the same story, including the bumps in the road.

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 7, 2011
          On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 1:13 PM, David Inglis <davidinglis2@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > On a related issue, the above passages provide an example of another
          > synoptic phenomenon that has puzzled me for a
          > while, which is: Why are the verse divisions in the synoptics so
          > inconsistent? For example, why does Mk 13:14 encompass
          > in one verse what is two verses in Mt? My understanding is that Robert
          > Estienne created our modern verse divisions
          > around 1551, but if they were the work or (or at least under the control
          > of) one person, then why are the synoptic
          > verses not always divided up the same way? Does anyone know whether this is
          > a 'hangover' from some characteristic of the
          > Greek mss Estienne was used to seeing at the time, or perhaps something
          > else? If so, is there anything that the verse
          > divisions can tell us with regard to the synoptic problem itself?

          All joking aside, my experience from preparing my own synopsis is that while
          the chapter seem to line up fairly well with synoptic parallels, the verses
          do not.

          In fact, I would like to take this opportunity to urge all people interested
          in the synoptic problem to prepare a synopsis themselves (ideally in Greek
          but an old-fashioned formal equivalent can do). There is no substitute for
          getting down into the data, and getting a feel for what's going on at its
          most basic level. Unfortunately in the U.S., the synoptic problem is
          usually taught as a single lecture in an undergraduate or master's level
          class, generally by presenting the Mark-Q theory as the solution and
          refracting what little data that can be described in an hour through that
          lens.

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 7, 2011
            Good ole wiki.  I would say that given the prestige and stature of his publishing house, the horse story goes out the window (back to the barn?).

            Chuck
            ______________________

            Robert Estienne:

            "In 1532, he published the remarkable Thesaurus linguae latinae, and twice he published the entire Hebrew Bible — "one with the Commentary of Kimchi on the minor prophets, in 13 vols. 4to (quarto) (Paris, 1539-43), another in 10 vols. 16mo (sextodecimo) (ibid. 1544-46)."[4] Both of these editions are rare.

            "Of more importance are his four editions of the Greek New Testament, 1546, 1549, 1550, and 1551, the last in Geneva. The first two are among the neatest Greek texts known, and are called O mirificam; the third is a splendid masterpiece of typographical skill, and is known as the Editio Regia; the edition of 1551 contains the Latin translation of Erasmus and the Vulgate, is not nearly as fine as the other three, and is exceedingly rare. It was in this edition that the division of the New Testament into verses was for the first time introduced."

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 7, 2011
              The French passage cited here recently
              runs that Stephanus himself says in his
              letter to the reader (Concordance 1594)
              that he did the verse division on his journey
              from Paris to Lyon - mostly on horseback...

              So Stephen Carlson seems to be right about
              the bumps...

              The account is not quite from the horse's mouth
              though, but seems to be the nearest thing...