Re: [Synoptic-L] When is a parallel not a parallel? Also, when is a verse not a verse?

    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 5, 2011
      The question David Inglis is asking about parallels
      might seem of tangential interest but has quite serious
      implications for Synoptic studies.

      For example several earlier statistical approaches to
      the Synoptic question have agonized over how exact in
      form and sequence a set of words needs in order to be
      Form und Folge identisch. (See Poirier on this).

      The HHB concordance has the Synoptics in 19 categories
      and some of these go

      222 = same word in Mat Mk & Lk;
      122 = Mat has a different word but has a parallel;
      022 = Mat doesn't have either the word or a parallel.

      Given that the other writers can do the same we get
      9 categories for Matthew. The data from HHB allow
      some serious analysis which David Inglis has done,
      for example producing fresh evidence for Markan priority
      by showing which of the 19 columns of data are, and are
      not, closely correlated.

    • Bob Schacht
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 5, 2011
        At 10:13 AM 10/5/2011, David Inglis wrote:
        >I originally asked the first of these questions on another forum,
        >but as it has relevance to my synoptic stylometric
        >analysis
        >here <https://sites.google.com/site/inglisonmarcion/Home/the-synoptic-problem>
        >https://sites.google.com/site/inglisonmarcion/Home/the-synoptic-problem
        >, I would like to bring it up on synoptic.

        I don't think there is any standard answer to your question. The
        problem, ISTM, is that the word "parallel" has no precise definition
        in textual criticism, so there is no definitive answer to your question.
        This is essentially a question of the practice of Textual Criticism.
        An easy to read introduction to the subject may be found at
        http://www.skypoint.com/members/waltzmn/intro.html#Practice

        The idea of "parallels" has been heavily influenced by parallel
        Bibles and harmonies, that list Biblical "parallels" in columns to
        facilitate comparison. In fact, of course, parallels are the very
        stuff out of which synoptic studies are made. As you can imagine, the
        texts arranged in parallel columns range from placing passages that
        are literally identical side by side with passages that have only a
        few key words in common. In other words, the idea of literary
        "parallels" has been the object of so much abuse that it is difficult
        to say what they are.

        The problem is easily illustrated by the "minor agreements," which
        are a special type of "parallel":
        >Specifically, there are 347 instances (by Neirynck's count) where
        >one or more words are added to the Markan text in both Matthew and
        >Luke; these are called the "minor agreements" against Mark. Some 198
        >instances involve one word, 82 involve two words, 35 three, 16 four,
        >and 16 instances involve five or more words in the extant texts of
        >Matthew and Luke as compared to Markan passages.
        (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_source)

        So, how many different words are required before it is no longer a
        parallel? Or should we be using percentages instead of raw counts? Or
        to come from the opposite direction, how many words (or what
        percentage of words) do two passages have to have in common before
        they are considered "parallel"? And surely we have to address the
        order of the words as well.
        Pretty soon, the whole idea of trying to precisely define what a
        parallel is, and what it is not, becomes hopeless.

        Again, I refer you to the article above on the Practice of Textual Criticism.

        Bob Schacht
        Northern Arizona University

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 6, 2011
          The issue of when passages are identical in form and sequence
          can be seen in Poirier's article pp.85, 105, 113, 117
          P discusses Morgenthaler who raised the issue, gives an example,
          discusses Bergemann's further view of the matter, then the approach
          of Ronning, then the work of the "Tokyo team".

          The issue with the HHB is slightly different in that each word has
          to be assigned. So for example data labelled 021 will
          consist of words which are used by Mark, where the equivalent
          passage is not there in Matthew, and where Luke uses a different
          word from the one Mark used. (I am trying to keep wording as
          theory neutral as possible - so avoiding "omits" "changes" etc.)

          The problem is how much of Mark's wording/sentence/passage
          has to be absent in Matthew to get an 021. How much of Mark's
          wording/sentence/passage has to be present to get a 121 or a 221?

          This may seem an abstruse technical issue but it can have serious
          implications when one tries to decide on the HHB evidence whether
          the stuff in Mark correlates better than the stuff in Matthew. The
          evidence is that it does. That should be the case if Matthew used Mark.
          The opposite should be the case if Mark used Matthew. David Inglis
          argues that the data in the relevant columns based on HHB shows
          Mark to be more consistent, and Matthew to be more diverse.
          I think his analysis of this is correct.

          It would be interesting to know if anyone has experience of agreeing
          with, or dissenting from, the judgements on the assignments of words
          to categories in the HHB Synoptic Concordance, especially in relation
          to their assessment of "parallel" passages.

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 6, 2011
            There are indeed terminological issues here.  An important word to add to the discussion is "dependence."

            Lk generally demonstrates more freedom in his wording with pericope that also occur in Mt and Mk.  When this happens in the triple tradition, as is the case in "armies surrounding Jerusalem" vs. "the abomination....," we learn at least that Lk is not the "middle term" of the synoptics, i.e., Lk is dependent on Mk or Mt or both or sumpin'.

            ________________________________
> [...]

            >doesn't this at least blur the edges of the synoptic
            >sonderguts, double/triple traditions, etc?
            >

            >On a related issue, the above passages provide an example of another
            >synoptic phenomenon that has puzzled me for a
            >while, which is: Why are the verse divisions in the synoptics so
            >inconsistent? For example, why does Mk 13:14 encompass
            >in one verse what is two verses in Mt? My understanding is that
            >Robert Estienne created our modern verse divisions
            >around 1551, but if they were the work or (or at least under the
            >control of) one person, then why are the synoptic
            >verses not always divided up the same way? Does anyone know whether
            >this is a 'hangover' from some characteristic of the
            >Greek mss Estienne was used to seeing at the time, or perhaps
            >something else? If so, is there anything that the verse
            >divisions can tell us with regard to the synoptic problem itself?

          • Dennis
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 6, 2011
              Canonical Luke seems dependent. I like Klinghardt's proposal, which posits Luke and Matt to be dependent upon Mark and an early version of "Luke" that Marcion used.
              Dennis Carpenter
              Dahlonega, Ga.

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 6, 2011
                David I: I posed the following question:

                Why are the verse divisions in the synoptics so inconsistent? For example, why does Mk 13:14 encompass
                in one verse what is two verses in Mt? My understanding is that Robert Estienne created our modern verse divisions
                around 1551, but if they were the work or (or at least under the control of) one person, then why are the synoptic
                verses not always divided up the same way? Does anyone know whether this is a 'hangover' from some characteristic of the
                Greek mss Estienne was used to seeing at the time, or perhaps something else? If so, is there anything that the verse
                divisions can tell us with regard to the synoptic problem itself?

                Rev. Chuck Jones responded:

                If I had to guess about your second question, it is that he demarcated the gospel verses over time, and simply forgot what he'd done earlier.

                David I: Chuck, I find it hard to believe that this was the case, because if so then why would these divisions have become universally accepted? Unless there was some logic or pattern behind the divisions then I don’t see how this could become so dominant. One interesting consideration is that in Panarion 42 (c. 375), Epiphanius frequently mentions ‘verses’ in Lk (or rather, that’s the word used in English translations). For example:

                Scholion 55: Again, he excised the material about the vineyard which was let out to husbandmen, and the verse, ”What is this then, The stone which the builders rejected?”

                In other words, there was an early pattern of divisions more than 1,000 years before Estienne, so what was it based on, and did Estienne use the same ‘markers’ as Epiphanius when creating his verses?

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 6, 2011
                  Re the translation cited:
                  Scholion 55: Again, he excised the material about the vineyard which
                  was let out to husbandmen, and the verse, ”What is this then, The
                  stone which the builders rejected?”

                  The Greek at the Epiphanius passage (nu epsilon = 55) does
                  not have the words which appear in the translation as
                  "material" and "verse".  It simply has the neuter plural of
                  the definite article the first time  i.e. the things
                  about, or the bits about, or the words about.  The second
                  time it simply has the neuter singular of the definite
                  article i.e. the bit, or the sentence, or the saying, or
                  the question. The reader of the Greek has to supply
                  a suitable noun.  So sadly the quest for verse division
                  can't be established as early as this from this passage.

                  Incidentally is the story true that the 16th C verse division
                  was done as the scholar in question "travelled across Europe
                  on horseback" as I heard a lecturer declare many years ago?
                  Presumably he meant the work was done in the inns after the
                  route for the day had been completed.

                  David Mealand,     University of Edinburgh

                • Stephen Carlson
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 6, 2011
                    On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 4:30 PM, David Mealand <D.Mealand@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >
                    > Incidentally is the story true that the 16th C verse division
                    > was done as the scholar in question "travelled across Europe
                    > on horseback" as I heard a lecturer declare many years ago?
                    > Presumably he meant the work was done in the inns after the
                    > route for the day had been completed.

                    I usually heard it joked that every time there was a bump in the road, a new
                    verse came into being.

                    Stephen
                    --
                    Stephen C. Carlson
                    Graduate Program in Religion

                  • Emmanuel Fritsch
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 7, 2011
                      Stephen Carlson a écrit :

                      > On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 4:30 PM, David Mealand <D.Mealand@...
                      > <mailto:D.Mealand%40ed.ac.uk>> wrote:
                      >
                      > I usually heard it joked that every time there was a bump in the road,
                      > a new
                      > verse came into being.

                      For the bump, I did not know, but the horse travel is considered to be
                      true in France.
                      The scholar was the great printer, publisher and editor Robert Estienne.

                      Some details and other stuff (including a reference in english) in :

                      http://books.google.com/books?id=ULHVwKJYO38C&lpg=PA54&ots=qLLSqRnDUL&dq=d%C3%A9coupage%20des%20versets%20estienne&pg=PA54#v=onepage&q=d%C3%A9coupage%20des%20versets%20estienne&f=false

                      a+
                      manu
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 7, 2011
                        Don't know if it's true, but I heard the same story, including the bumps in the road.

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 7, 2011
                          On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 1:13 PM, David Inglis <davidinglis2@...>wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > On a related issue, the above passages provide an example of another
                          > synoptic phenomenon that has puzzled me for a
                          > while, which is: Why are the verse divisions in the synoptics so
                          > inconsistent? For example, why does Mk 13:14 encompass
                          > in one verse what is two verses in Mt? My understanding is that Robert
                          > Estienne created our modern verse divisions
                          > around 1551, but if they were the work or (or at least under the control
                          > of) one person, then why are the synoptic
                          > verses not always divided up the same way? Does anyone know whether this is
                          > a 'hangover' from some characteristic of the
                          > Greek mss Estienne was used to seeing at the time, or perhaps something
                          > else? If so, is there anything that the verse
                          > divisions can tell us with regard to the synoptic problem itself?

                          All joking aside, my experience from preparing my own synopsis is that while
                          the chapter seem to line up fairly well with synoptic parallels, the verses
                          do not.

                          In fact, I would like to take this opportunity to urge all people interested
                          in the synoptic problem to prepare a synopsis themselves (ideally in Greek
                          but an old-fashioned formal equivalent can do). There is no substitute for
                          getting down into the data, and getting a feel for what's going on at its
                          most basic level. Unfortunately in the U.S., the synoptic problem is
                          usually taught as a single lecture in an undergraduate or master's level
                          class, generally by presenting the Mark-Q theory as the solution and
                          refracting what little data that can be described in an hour through that
                          lens.

                          Stephen

                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 7, 2011
                            Good ole wiki.  I would say that given the prestige and stature of his publishing house, the horse story goes out the window (back to the barn?).

                            Chuck
                            ______________________

                            Robert Estienne:

                            "In 1532, he published the remarkable Thesaurus linguae latinae, and twice he published the entire Hebrew Bible — "one with the Commentary of Kimchi on the minor prophets, in 13 vols. 4to (quarto) (Paris, 1539-43), another in 10 vols. 16mo (sextodecimo) (ibid. 1544-46)."[4] Both of these editions are rare.

                            "Of more importance are his four editions of the Greek New Testament, 1546, 1549, 1550, and 1551, the last in Geneva. The first two are among the neatest Greek texts known, and are called O mirificam; the third is a splendid masterpiece of typographical skill, and is known as the Editio Regia; the edition of 1551 contains the Latin translation of Erasmus and the Vulgate, is not nearly as fine as the other three, and is exceedingly rare. It was in this edition that the division of the New Testament into verses was for the first time introduced."

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 7, 2011
                              The French passage cited here recently
                              runs that Stephanus himself says in his
                              letter to the reader (Concordance 1594)
                              that he did the verse division on his journey
                              from Paris to Lyon - mostly on horseback...

                              So Stephen Carlson seems to be right about
                              the bumps...

                              The account is not quite from the horse's mouth
                              though, but seems to be the nearest thing...