Re: [Synoptic-L] Mk 12:12 - they feared the people

  • Stephen Carlson
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 21, 2011
      On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Keith Yoder <keith_yoder@...> wrote:

      > **
      >
      > Other than that, I stand by my original post. I was not commenting
      > on anything David said. I was only commenting on that paragraph from your
      > post when you said that τὸν ὄχλον "cannot" be the subject of the finite verb
      > in the following subordinate clause verb because it "has to be" the object
      > of the preceeding "they-feared". I did not say that "the crowd" was not
      > the object of the verb "they-feared"; obviously it is. Ditto in Matthew
      > 14:5. However, in Matthew 14:5 that same accusative noun phrase τὸν
      > ὄχλον also somehow becomes the subject (or supplies an implied subject) of
      > the verb in the following subordinate clause. Unless you can give me a
      > different explanation of the syntax of Matthew 14:5, I still think it is a
      > valid counter-example to what you state in that paragraph of yours that I
      > quoted.

      Hi Keith. We're still talking past each other. Evidence for this is that
      your paraphrase of my post has omitted the very qualification I said was
      important: "syntactically." My point was specifically directed to David
      I.'s proposed translation and my criticism was specifically *syntactic*,
      that is, intra-clausal. (I could have also made another criticism about the
      position of the postpositive γάρ, but I did not.)

      Your point, on the other hand, is extra-clausal and pragmatic. It is trying
      to identify the referent of the zero-anaphora antecedent for the third
      person plural. You make an interesting case that this referent is the crowd
      of the previous clause, but that's really a different question from what I
      was doing and answering it does not have anything to do with whether my
      statement about the syntax of the construction "went too far."

      Stephen
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson
      Graduate Program in Religion