RE: Authority arguments

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 12, 2011
      Interestingly, the latest copy of the Economist (Sep 10th-16th), which arrived in the mail today, contains an account of
      an 'authority' problem (Science and Technology, An array of errors, p91-92, at least in my copy). It provides an example
      of something that I suspect is quite common (although I cannot provide direct evidence): Once a journal has published a
      paper, that journal then exhibits a bias against criticisms of the paper. Even if the journal does not realize it, I
      think that once its review panel has accepted a paper for publication, it is then harder for the review panel to, in
      effect, criticize their own decision, by accepting for publication something questioning the contents of the original
      paper, whatever the merits of the questions themselves. I'd be interested in hearing about any evidence either for or
      against, e.g. has this actually ever been studied?