Ancient witnesses on salt

  • Gentile, David
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2006
      Apparently there are variations in the ancient witnesses regarding
      Mark's salt.

      We have "everyone will be salted with fire"

      Others have "all sacrifices will be salted with fire"

      And still others "everyone will be salted with fire and all sacrifices
      will be salted with salt."

      The compound one certainly looks secondary,

      but any bets that "all sacrifices will be salted with fire" is in some
      of the better witnesses?

      Mark would read -

      You don't want to be cast into the purgatory of Gehenna.

      All sacrifices (there) are salted (made acceptable to God) with fire.

      But if the salt (of the old covenant) has lost its saltiness
      (acceptability to God) how can [it? things?] be made salty (acceptable
      to God) ?

      Have salt (of the new covenant, love and forgiveness) in you, and be at
      peace with each other.

      Also 5 loves and 2 fishes gives 12 bushels of scraps?

      We have 12 for the twelve loaves of the old covenant and the twelve
      tribes of Israel.

      Then mama in Exodus came for *5* days and *twice* as much on the sixth
      day = 5 loves and 2 fishes = Another Old covenant bread reference.

      As far as I can tell, however, 5000 and 4000 are just numbers, tags so
      that the feedings can be referred to by name later.

      Dave Gentile

      Riverside IL