RE: [Synoptic-L] Early interpolations

    Message 1 of 73 , Sep 4, 2011
      Bob, there are two problems with what you state below. You quote this definition of textual criticism:

      "That is the purpose of textual criticism: Working with the materials available, to reconstruct the original text of an
      ancient document with as much accuracy as possible."

      I agree. However, my concern is it that unless you can distinguish edits made by the original author before publication
      from edits made by someone else after publication, then the reconstruction goes too far, and you end up reconstructing a
      first 'draft' that was never meant to be seen by anyone else. You then write:

      "I would suggest one important consideration: Textual Critics often seek to "know" the hand of each scribe"

      This is irrelevant here. We're not dealing with an actual mss written by the original author (or his scribe), and then
      altered by other people - indeed, as far as we know we have NO mss written by the original authors of any of the NT, but
      only copies written by later scribes. Scribal habits may help to uncover the original text of a particular extant ms,
      but that's as far as it goes, and does nothing to help us determine what edits an author made to his ms before anyone
      else had the chance to copy it and make their own changes.

      Message 73 of 73 , Sep 12, 2011
        Out of curiosity I tried this search on Google Books

        interpolation OR interpolated OR interpolate
        subject:"Gospels" or "New Testament
        Date 1900-2011

        I got about 10 hits - far fewer than I expected. On looking at
        these (where that was possible) I noted a considerable variety
        of usage. One or other of the terms is used (in the books located)
        in relation to Mat.27.16; Mk.1.2; Lk 9-18; Jn 1.6-8 & 15; 3.22-30;
        Jn 19.35, 21.24; Rom 15-16;1 Cor.1.2-16;Josephus Apion Bk.2,or the
        Gospel of Nicodemus
        Some are "editorial" interpolations, some are interpolations with
        textual evidence, but I think one or two may be neither of these.

        As it would seem that writers of the available books don't use the term
        much I then turned to the ATLA database of journal articles
        with a similar search for
        "interpolation OR interpolated OR interpolate" (in full text) AND
        subject:"Gospels" Date 1950-2011

        This got 44 hits from a shorter span of time, most of them from items
        available in pdf, but not showing where the hits are, or what they include.
        (To check these one would need to do a lot of downloads and pdf searches.)

        Tentative conclusion: it would seem that articles use the term more
        than books do, but the snippet results from Google Books provide a
        handy list of varied examples from the NT of three different types of
        suspected "interpolation".

        ---