RE: [Synoptic-L] Early interpolations

    Message 1 of 73 , Sep 4, 2011
      Jeff, I would like to ask what you consider to be "MS evidence" of an interpolation. The reason I ask is because I don't
      see that anyone can even suggest an interpolation with seeing some kind of "MS evidence [that] puts the text in
      question." In particular, in the case of Mk 16:9ff I would say that the undisputable fact that we see multiple different
      endings in the mss is one of the best examples of "MS evidence [putting] the text in question." Given we have
      disagreements in multiple mss regarding the ending of Mk, perhaps you could explain how you consider there to be "no MS
      evidence" here.
      Also, I see that you use the term "the received text," so please could I ask you to make it clear what you personally
      mean when you use this term.
      David Inglis, Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA
      P.S. I took "the exegete" to mean anyone who tries to understand the text.

      Message 73 of 73 , Sep 12, 2011
        Out of curiosity I tried this search on Google Books

        interpolation OR interpolated OR interpolate
        subject:"Gospels" or "New Testament
        Date 1900-2011

        I got about 10 hits - far fewer than I expected. On looking at
        these (where that was possible) I noted a considerable variety
        of usage. One or other of the terms is used (in the books located)
        in relation to Mat.27.16; Mk.1.2; Lk 9-18; Jn 1.6-8 & 15; 3.22-30;
        Jn 19.35, 21.24; Rom 15-16;1 Cor.1.2-16;Josephus Apion Bk.2,or the
        Gospel of Nicodemus
        Some are "editorial" interpolations, some are interpolations with
        textual evidence, but I think one or two may be neither of these.

        As it would seem that writers of the available books don't use the term
        much I then turned to the ATLA database of journal articles
        with a similar search for
        "interpolation OR interpolated OR interpolate" (in full text) AND
        subject:"Gospels" Date 1950-2011

        This got 44 hits from a shorter span of time, most of them from items
        available in pdf, but not showing where the hits are, or what they include.
        (To check these one would need to do a lot of downloads and pdf searches.)

        Tentative conclusion: it would seem that articles use the term more
        than books do, but the snippet results from Google Books provide a
        handy list of varied examples from the NT of three different types of
        suspected "interpolation".

        ---