Re: Brooks RE: [Synoptic-L] Early interpolations

  • Jeff Peterson
    Message 1 of 73 , Sep 4, 2011
      Not that I think this is of any great moment, but "the exegete" in my
      earlier email referred in general to the modern exegete who proposes that a
      NT passage originated as an interpolation. I was thinking of commentators
      like those that Ron Price mentioned surveying; I have most fully considered
      such proposals by Johannes Weiss (on 1 Cor 1:2b), Birger Pearson (on 1 Thess
      2:14�16), J. C. O'Neill (on every other sentence in the letter to the
      Romans, it seems), and my friend William Walker.

      I wasn't thinking directly of any contributor to the list, nor was I
      attempting to be snide; there are plenty of NT passages where I've (so far!)
      failed to see what's going on, and I don't see it as any great insult to
      suggest that such is the case. On the other hand, exegesis (like politics)
      ain't beanbag, and I'm not bothered if someone wants to throw an elbow in my
      direction.

      Jeff Peterson
      Austin Graduate School of Theology

      Message 73 of 73 , Sep 12, 2011
        Out of curiosity I tried this search on Google Books

        interpolation OR interpolated OR interpolate
        subject:"Gospels" or "New Testament
        Date 1900-2011

        I got about 10 hits - far fewer than I expected. On looking at
        these (where that was possible) I noted a considerable variety
        of usage. One or other of the terms is used (in the books located)
        in relation to Mat.27.16; Mk.1.2; Lk 9-18; Jn 1.6-8 & 15; 3.22-30;
        Jn 19.35, 21.24; Rom 15-16;1 Cor.1.2-16;Josephus Apion Bk.2,or the
        Gospel of Nicodemus
        Some are "editorial" interpolations, some are interpolations with
        textual evidence, but I think one or two may be neither of these.

        As it would seem that writers of the available books don't use the term
        much I then turned to the ATLA database of journal articles
        with a similar search for
        "interpolation OR interpolated OR interpolate" (in full text) AND
        subject:"Gospels" Date 1950-2011

        This got 44 hits from a shorter span of time, most of them from items
        available in pdf, but not showing where the hits are, or what they include.
        (To check these one would need to do a lot of downloads and pdf searches.)

        Tentative conclusion: it would seem that articles use the term more
        than books do, but the snippet results from Google Books provide a
        handy list of varied examples from the NT of three different types of
        suspected "interpolation".

        ---