Re: Brooks RE: [Synoptic-L] Early interpolations

  • Bob Schacht
    Message 1 of 73 , Sep 4, 2011
      At 02:01 AM 9/4/2011, will wrote:
      >". . . For there have, I think, been many persons and there are
      >still some who
      >have devoted their powers of speaking to the destruction of their fellow-men."
      >
      >Institutio Oratoria, Book II xx. 2
      >http://www.archive.org/details/institutioorator00quin
      >

      >William Penrhiw
      >Cardiff, UK

      Thanks, Will.
      Now, as someone else has pointed out, it is possible that Jeff
      Peterson's opening comment was a snide allusion to Bruce Brooks.
      If so, then Bruce's snide reply was justified. Sometimes, such subtle
      barbs elude me. I simply understood "the exegete" in question to
      refer to the ancient copyist, rather than any one of our current
      company. If that was the case, then the Quintillian quote seems
      inapt, because the target of the barb is an unknown scribe. Usually,
      ad hominem remarks are directed at a particular person well-known to
      the audience.

      So, if I missed the subtle exchange of barbs, then I withdraw my comment.
      However, I interpreted Jeff's remarks as an exercise in Textual Criticism
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textual_criticism), and while I am no
      expert in that field, his remarks seemed quite appropriate in that
      context if "the exegete" referred only to the ancient scribe(s) in question.

      Bob Schacht
      Northern Arizona University

      Message 73 of 73 , Sep 12, 2011
        Out of curiosity I tried this search on Google Books

        interpolation OR interpolated OR interpolate
        subject:"Gospels" or "New Testament
        Date 1900-2011

        I got about 10 hits - far fewer than I expected. On looking at
        these (where that was possible) I noted a considerable variety
        of usage. One or other of the terms is used (in the books located)
        in relation to Mat.27.16; Mk.1.2; Lk 9-18; Jn 1.6-8 & 15; 3.22-30;
        Jn 19.35, 21.24; Rom 15-16;1 Cor.1.2-16;Josephus Apion Bk.2,or the
        Gospel of Nicodemus
        Some are "editorial" interpolations, some are interpolations with
        textual evidence, but I think one or two may be neither of these.

        As it would seem that writers of the available books don't use the term
        much I then turned to the ATLA database of journal articles
        with a similar search for
        "interpolation OR interpolated OR interpolate" (in full text) AND
        subject:"Gospels" Date 1950-2011

        This got 44 hits from a shorter span of time, most of them from items
        available in pdf, but not showing where the hits are, or what they include.
        (To check these one would need to do a lot of downloads and pdf searches.)

        Tentative conclusion: it would seem that articles use the term more
        than books do, but the snippet results from Google Books provide a
        handy list of varied examples from the NT of three different types of
        suspected "interpolation".

        ---