Re: Brooks RE: [Synoptic-L] Early interpolations

  • Horace Jeffery Hodges
    Message 1 of 73 , Sep 3 10:40 PM
      JEFF: My impression of proposed interpolations to NT texts (so far!) is that they typically indicate a failure on the part of the exegete to perceive what's going on in the text.

      BRUCE: I think it has been recognized since at least the time of Quintilian that statements about people don't greatly advance discussions about things.....

      BOB: I think this is rude and inappropriate response to Jeff's point.

      Bob, I think that Jeff's statement could also be taken as a slight since one could infer from it that Bruce as exegete doesn't perceive what's going on in the text -- not that Jeff intended it as such.

      Jeffery Hodges
      Ewha Womans University

      Message 73 of 73 , Sep 12 7:50 AM
        Out of curiosity I tried this search on Google Books

        interpolation OR interpolated OR interpolate
        subject:"Gospels" or "New Testament
        Date 1900-2011

        I got about 10 hits - far fewer than I expected. On looking at
        these (where that was possible) I noted a considerable variety
        of usage. One or other of the terms is used (in the books located)
        in relation to Mat.27.16; Mk.1.2; Lk 9-18; Jn 1.6-8 & 15; 3.22-30;
        Jn 19.35, 21.24; Rom 15-16;1 Cor.1.2-16;Josephus Apion Bk.2,or the
        Gospel of Nicodemus
        Some are "editorial" interpolations, some are interpolations with
        textual evidence, but I think one or two may be neither of these.

        As it would seem that writers of the available books don't use the term
        much I then turned to the ATLA database of journal articles
        with a similar search for
        "interpolation OR interpolated OR interpolate" (in full text) AND
        subject:"Gospels" Date 1950-2011

        This got 44 hits from a shorter span of time, most of them from items
        available in pdf, but not showing where the hits are, or what they include.
        (To check these one would need to do a lot of downloads and pdf searches.)

        Tentative conclusion: it would seem that articles use the term more
        than books do, but the snippet results from Google Books provide a
        handy list of varied examples from the NT of three different types of
        suspected "interpolation".

        ---