RE: J. Gibson's inquiry -Divine Intimacy in Mark and Homer

  • Richard Richmond
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2005
      Yes I will explain it in more detail for you Jeffery.

      The relationship between the goddess Athena and
      Odysseus throughout the entire work is that of an
      Intimate friend. I am not suggesting that it is
      monotheistic only that it is mirrored in the union of
      the Holy Spirit with Jesus in the Text of Mark as
      well. Paul's reason for calling God daddy was because
      of the connection between the indwelling Holy Spirit
      that made him a son and an heir. This is the intimacy
      I was writing about and which I also find evident in
      the Gopsel of Mark between Jesus and the Holy spirit
      and this is why I think so:

      The transfiguration of Jesus on the mount, parallels
      the transfiguration of Odysseus by the golden rod of
      Athena including the brightness of the garments which
      serves Mark as a key point indicating his source, The
      Odyssey. In Homer's version of a transfiguration the
      point was to illuminate the mind of Telemachus to the
      true identity of his father just before the driving
      out of the suitors and to help convince the lad that
      it is possible to achieve the goal. In the words of
      the son his Father appears to him to be a God himself.

      In Mark the transfiguration serves to disclose the
      true nature of Jesus, superior to Moses and Elijah and
      should have strengthened Peter James and John for the
      trip to Jerusalem where Jesus by himself will drive
      out the money changers from the Temple. Unfortunately
      Peter, James and John, were not able to withstand the
      pressure and deserted Jesus in the end according to
      Mark.

      Rick Richmond rickr2889@...

      http://mail.yahoo.com