Re: [Synoptic-L] Point of clarification concerning Abba

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2005
      > Richard Richmond wrote:
      >
      > > I did not mean to say that Abba was a Greek word
      > but
      > > that the concept of God as intimate friend had is
      > > basis in the writing of Homer and not in Hebrew
      > > tradition.

      "Jeffrey B. Gibson"

      > Could you please cite the specific texts in the
      > Iliad or the Odyssey in
      > which you see "the concept of God as intimate
      > friend"  expressed?

      Dear Jeffrey;

      I already asked and thrice pointed out his claim was
      left uncited without sources, apparently to deaf ears.
      He did answer by twisting things around saying: "As to
      the citations, do you really care where HO AGAQOS or
      ATTA can be found, will it change anything?"

      However, he also not only changes his claim but his
      mind. For example, in his previous post he said:

      And
      > Matthew also has ABBA missing from the Garden
      > narrative. Now Paul writing many years before either
      > of the Synoptics uses ABBA in the context of prayer.
      > The word is EXCLUSIVE to the text of Mark and the
      > Pauline Letters of Romans and Galatians. These are
      > the
      > facts and they indicate that Paul has a broader
      > understanding of how one can relate to God the
      > Father.
      > I say that is due to the influence of Greek Culture
      > and Classic Greek Literature in his upbringing and
      that Mark has drawn it from the writing of Paul.

      Lupia:
      So Paul’s influence by Greek Culture and Classic Greek
      Literature is the cause or reason why Paul uses ABBA
      and not PATER. I thought Rick claimed that he: "did
      not mean to say that Abba was a Greek word."
      Apparently he does think Abba is Greek since Paul
      learned to use this word "due to the influence of
      Greek Culture and Classic Greek Literature in his
      upbringing." As Rick says: "These are the facts". Now
      how can anyone argue with that rationale and logic?

      BTW nice work on the Hort links.

      Best regards,
      John N. Lupia, III

      John N. Lupia, III