Can salt lose its savour?

  • D.Mealand@ed.ac.uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2006
      Wasn't one of the main reasons for using salt then, and there (in a hot
      climate), to stop food going "off" ?

      With ref to the joke about salt losing its flavour see the equally
      witty Jewish response cited in Fitzmyer Luke 1069 for which I think the
      Talmudic reference is Bekor.8b (but I don't have the means of checking
      that to hand just now).

      David Mealand

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 15, 2006
        David,

        The authors of the King James version (and I believe some other
        versions from that period) saw salt that way. The salt preserved the
        sinner in the fire. Another possible reading, I suppose. :o(

        But it does not make the connection between sacrifices in Gehenna
        and sacrificial salt like my proposed reading does, and it does not
        work for the other "salt" sayings in Mark, Matthew and Paul. Have
        preservatives in yourself? Season your speach with preservatives?
        Maybe "you are the preservation of earth" works, but then "if a
        preservative loses..." does not work.

        Thanks for the feedback,

        Dave Gentile
        Riverside, IL