Re: Salt

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2006
      Hi Bruce.

      So for the salt sayings you vote with Ecclesiastes 1:2 ?

      "Meaningless! Meaningless!"
      says the Teacher.
      "Utterly meaningless!
      Everything is meaningless."

      :o)

      Bruce:

      (we have the same situation with
      > the Chinese classics). My methodological preference, partly for
      this
      > background reason, and partly in general, is not for Charity but
      for what I
      > call Tact: leaving one's own art of explication aside, and letting
      the text
      > alone as much as possible, to see what it is up to when we aren't
      looking at
      > it.

      Dave: I think mine just sits on the page, but I can't tell for sure,
      I'm not looking at it.
      :o)

      I suppose we all do bring our background with us. The common thread
      that ties together much of my various formal education and work
      (Physics, market research, finacial markets, statistician) is that
      they are all about finding meaning in patterns. It was the patterns
      in the data that drew me into the synoptic problem in the first
      place.

      So, it's possible I'm biased towards thinking patterns in the data
      mean things. But at the very least, I think I've *identified* some
      patterns here. And personally, I see meaning in them.

      Thanks for the comments,

      Dave Gentile,
      Riverside IL