RE: [Synoptic-L] New Studies in the Synoptic Problem (PS)

  • Matson, Mark (Academic)
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 16, 2011
      Bruce, et al:

      I have NOT yet read it all (it's 958 pages of dense reading). I would not say that there have been any "bolts out of the blue" yet, but I found at least three articles so far very interesting:

      1. John Kloppenborg's article on the relationship between synopsis construction and various hypothesis very interesting. He argues that there is not really a specific bias in any of the synopses, but does illustrate a bunch of examples (that I had been unaware of) in which synopsis construction, especially in ordering and comparing "parallel" verses is simply problematic. What it does is, at least on the margin, simply make the whole issue more complicated. Guess that's not a "definitive" argument, and yet very helpful for thus of us trying to see the argument from all sides fairly. The key to this article is some charts, and I had to read it all a couple of times, but very helpful.

      2. Andrew Gregory's article on "what is literary dependence" does add to, or problematize, the categories of "literary" and "oral" or "memory." Very thoughtful discussion that does not land in an "aha" moment, and yet well worth a number of hours studying.

      3. And Bauckham's article on John and synoptics relationship was worthwhile, even as he critiqued my own efforts. Still, a helpful essay that puts a number of issues into perspective.

      I'm still slugging away, but frankly this does offer some very thoughtful engagement and perspective.

      mark

      Mark A. Matson
      Academic Dean
      Milligan College