RE: [Synoptic-L] New Studies in the Synoptic Problem

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 16, 2011
      To: Synoptic
      On: Synoptic Problem
      From: Bruce

      MARK: I would be interested as any of you process this huge book how you
      think this advances the discussion?

      BRUCE: I guess my first question, as one who cannot come up with the huge
      price, is whether the huge book *attempts* to advance discussion. Or is it
      simply one more summary; yet another status quaestionis? There has been a
      lot of the latter going around lately; the genre seems to be keeping the
      European book trade afloat. But I would be interested to know if any of
      these contributions ends with, or includes, a new proposal or a new (and
      purportedly decisive) argument for a previous proposal.

      For example, I seem to recall that Foster some years ago came down against
      the existence of M (as usually conceived). Does that small conclusion stand,
      or is it left open once again?