Re: [Synoptic-L] A Markan pericope born out of codex constraints

    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 4, 2011
      Jeffrey Gibson wrote:

      > In any case, how do you know, as you seem to be claiming above that you
      > do, not only that the codex was invented ca. 70 .....

      Jeffrey,

      That's not quite accurate. What I claimed was that the *papyrus* codex was
      invented ca. 70 CE with the production of Mark¹s gospel. Of course I cannot
      be absolutely sure, but I see it as very probable. Mark certainly had a
      clear motive to invent a new format, which was to distinguish this
      pioneering document from the old wine of Judaism (Mk 2:22).

      > ..... but that the original format of GMark was a codex?

      Basically because I have found a match between what I believe were the
      original sections of Mark, and a 40-page model of its original Greek text.
      Each section comes very close to occupying one or more pages assuming
      uniform writing. The fact that the number of pages in the model is a whole
      multiple of 4 suggests that the gospel was written on a codex (which by
      definition would have contained a whole multiple of 4 pages). This might
      have been considered a coincidence apart from the fact that I have also
      found the models for Matthew, Luke and Acts (as well as Revelation,
      Colossians, Ephesians, and the Pastorals as a unit) to contain whole
      multiples of 4 pages.

      I have not yet made available the precise details as far as Mark is
      concerned, but you can see the sort of thing I mean from the descriptions of
      the structures and models of Acts and Hebrews which are available from the
      web page below.

      http://homepage.virgin.net/ron.price/page_head.html