Counting Mark (3)

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2011
      To: Synoptic (GPG)
      On: Counting Mark (3)
      From: Bruce

      OK, but this is absolutely the last one. I got other stuff to do this
      morning.

      14 (3:1-6) The Man with a Withered Hand. 12
      15 (3:7-12) A Multitude at the Seaside. 12.2
      16 (3:13-19) The Choosing of the Twelve. 12.3
      17 (3:20-30). Jesus and Beelzebul. 20.7
      18 (3:31-35). The Mother and Brothers of Jesus. 8.9

      The consecutive values are:

      8.9, 12, 12.2, 12.3, 20.7

      Is this normal? Maybe a little more like it, but the center clustering is
      tighter than we perhaps expect on that assumption, and the extremes are very
      asymmetrically spaced. Of interest in light of previous chapter results: the
      distance between the shortest and longest value is 11.8, which is in the
      same general ballpark as the previous two chapters' interextreme values. If
      we shift this set of points about 7 to the right, it not too badly overlays
      the Mk2 distribution. If we line up all three chapter results in the same
      interextreme range, we get the same thing three times over: a center cluster
      off to the left of the center of the range, with maybe one outlier a little
      bit further left, and one or two outliers very far to the right. The
      absolute values of the right outliers (15.5, 23.75, 20.7) don't suggest a
      block, or even several blocks separated by a common distance. Taken
      together, they suggest a device of style: emphasis by proportionately longer
      statement. It would now be of literary interest (maybe) to go back and see
      what, in each chapter, are Mark's exceptionally long segments.

      Literature not being the purpose of this note, I will stop there. See you
      guys at dawn.