Style and Genre

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2011
      To: Synoptic (GPG)

      On: Style and Genre

      From: Bruce

      Those who continue to be interested in this subject, and with access to
      today's New York Times, may like to check out the pretty picture on p9 of
      the New York Times Book Review section. The illustration is perhaps trivial,
      but I think the general point is profound. For the stylistics of political
      writing, see Orwell. For those in the money end, there are whole books on
      how to write, not just any novel, but a romance novel.

      E Bruce Brooks
      University of Massachusetts

    • Tony Buglass
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 30, 2011
        Just returned from a holdiay weekend to hear news that Rev Prof C K Barrett died at 6.30pm on Friday 26th August. He was one of the finest NT scholars of he 20th C, but carried his immense staus very lightly. HGe liked nothing better as a Methoist minster than to get out into the little mining village chapels in County Durham and preach to ordinary folk. He came every year to a preachers' fellowship in Hexham, and was so much at home among ordinary folk there. One year he said in conversation with me after one such meeting "You know, I think I'm, a historian by nature and a theologian by grace."
        A lovely man, whose contribution to scholarship is incalculable, whose ministry ranged far and wide, and who left a favourable impression with everyone he met. May he rest in peace, and rise in glory.

        Blessings,
        Tony

        Rev Anthony E Buglass BA MTh
        Superintendent Minister