Re: [Synoptic-L] The "2 1/2 source" hypothesis

  • Lee Edgar Tyler
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 10 9:07 AM
      Stephen C. Carlson wrote:

      >At 11:13 AM 2/9/2006 -0600, Gentile, David wrote:
      >

      >>Dave: I agree that one way or another it looks like Matthian influence.
      >>But if "Q" was a "semi-rigid" oral tradition that could be recited by
      >>rote, then Matthew getting this from "Q" and Luke getting this from a
      >>Matthian influenced "Q" seems to work, at least for me. Of course this
      >>does assume the oral tradition was somewhat rigid and able to hold its
      >>shape reasonably well, in order to achieve the high verbatim agreement.
      >>And obviously other forms of Matthian influence are possible too. This
      >>one just seems like a good potential candidate for oral influence, at
      >>least to me.
      >>

      >My sense is that oral traditions sufficiently rigid to achieve
      >the degree of verbatim agreement we see in the synoptics
      >should also evidence the various mnemonic devices as we see
      >in Homer or a reverential attitude to the memorized (oral)
      >text that would permit little redaction of the material.
      >Neither of these indications for a sufficiently rigid oral
      >tradition are evident in the synoptics, however.
      >
      >Stephen

      I certainly agree that the Synoptics don't evince transmission through
      oral tradition; the only way I can see to account for the verbal
      correspondences is through some sort of textual dependence. But there
      are two caveats: First, we should not look for the sorts of mnemonic
      devices seen in Homer or other oral epics because these devices inhere
      in the verse form of the genre. And of course the gospels are not
      composed in Homeric decasyllable with cesurae at the fourth foot.
      Unless you have that verse form, you cannot have Homeric mnemonics.
      Also, there are evident in many of the aphoristic sayings attributed to
      Jesus mnemonic structures associated with oral tradition. Such forms as
      "Give unto Ceasar...", "Man was not made for the Sabbath...", or the
      anaphoric Beatitudes are suggestive or oral composition and
      transmission. These do not by any means account for the verbatim
      correspondences we find in the gospels, but probably do account for the
      preservation of the sayings up to the point where the textual tradition
      takes over from the oral, as they are both memorable and easily
      memorizable.

      Ed Tyler