RE: [Synoptic-L] A modified 3SH theory

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2011
      Ron, apologies for confusing both you and myself in my post! I was trying to
      make it short, but in the process took out too much clarifying info. I'm in
      the final stages of a stylistic analysis of the synoptics (starting from a
      completely 'agnostic' view of the synoptic problem) that appears to be
      telling me this:

      1. The general order of the form of the gospels as we see them is Mk
      -> Mt -> Lk

      2. Mk was the main source used by Mt, but Mt had access to other
      written material as well.

      3. Mk and Mt were the main sources used by Lk, but Lk had access to
      other written material as well.

      4. The other written source(s) available to Mt and Lk included
      material not in Mk, which was the source for at least some of the agreement
      between Mt and Lk against Mk (both double and triple traditions)

      5. Mt and Lk may have also had access to oral material, but if so we
      have no way of knowing what it was. We assume that it contributed to the Mt
      and Lk sonderguts, but could have also contributed to some of the
      differences in wording in the double tradition.

      Note that I'm not saying here whether the written sources(s) available to Mt
      and Lk were exactly the same or not, but whatever they were they overlapped.
      I'm also not saying that the overlap was Q, or anything like Q. I'm just
      saying that there was some additional common written material available to
      Mt and Lk. Also, whether you believe additional written sources (Q or
      something else) are necessary or not, my analysis is saying that something
      did exist. Finally, this kind of analysis can in no way help with any
      discussion as to which of the synoptics has the 'best' order of pericopes. I
      hope that's a little clearer.

      David Inglis, Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2011
        Two comments:

        1. If you have proposition #3, I'm not sure why you need to explain any material that has "agreement between Mt and Lk against Mk." (your proposition #4) Wouldn't any Lukan material that is common to Matthew be able to be explained by using Matthew?

        2. If you modify your proposition #4 (perhaps collapse it with #5) to allow for various additional sources that might be either written or oral (without any pre-condition that it is a unified document), you essentially have the position many of us who are attracted to the Farrer theory hold.

        Speaking for myself, my biggest problem is the hypothetical document Q that serves to explain material that Luke would have received from Matthew. If Luke knew Matthew, we are then left with fewer issues. But we do have sondergut material, and we do have variants in the Matthew material that might not always be explainable by Lucan editorial tendencies. So might there have been various sources, oral and/or written, that Luke used also? Sure. I just get nervous with postulating "a" document for which there is little or no evidence.

        Mark A. Matson
        Academic Dean
        Milligan College
        423-461-8720

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2011
          To: Synoptic / GPG, On: Synoptic Theories. David Inglis, commenting on Ron
          Price's theory and presenting his own, began this way: " The general order
          of the form of the gospels as we see them is Mk -> Mt -> Lk." BRUCE: There,
          it seems to me, is the problem, right there at the beginning. The statement
          seems unarguable as it stands, but the Gospels *as we see them* appear to be
          the end product of an evolution, and it is just possible that Synoptic
          relations are better stated in terms of the earlier stages of that
          evolution, which chiefly amounts to the difference between what I call Luke
          A and Luke B. Associated with the jump from Luke A to Luke B, which is when
          Luke revisited his composition in the light of Matthew, are a set of
          relocations of material previously placed in Markan order. I will shortly
          begin a review of those relocated passages, which will go to the small study
          group (the details are too large for a paragraph, and seemingly the Synoptic
          server can comfortably handle nothing above a paragraph). But if someone
          here present is interested in such things, I can arrange to share with them
          individually. Write me offlist. / E Bruce Brooks, UMass Amherst
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2011
            To: Synoptic / GPG, On: Synoptic Theory. David Inglis had laid out a
            Synoptic theory in several numbered propositions. I commented on the first
            of them a moment ago. Of the third, Mark Matson has meanwhile observed, "
            Wouldn't any Lukan material that is common to Matthew be able to be
            explained by using Matthew?" BRUCE: That, if memory serves, has been tried
            and found wanting; the directionality between Mt and Lk cannot plausibly be
            shown to run in only one direction. To follow up my note just posted, I will
            in days to come also be running through the Mt/Lk common material, piece by
            piece, to determine its directionality, and see what sort of Luke A and what
            sort of Matthew those results lead to. Preliminary indications seem to me
            favorable (Luke in particular is much more self-consistent in Luke A than he
            has seemed to be, to previous commentators, in Luke A/B taken together). Of
            course there are no guarantees about the future; we shall see. But I repeat
            my earlier offer: If anyone here present happens to be interested in these
            details (in addition to those already posted on Synoptic, from 2006 to the
            current season, inclusive), and would like to see and respond to some of
            those suggestions, they are welcome to write me off-list to be included in
            the discussion. Best wishes of the weekend to everyone, / E Bruce Brooks,
            UMass Amherst
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2011
              Mark Matson:

              2. If you modify your proposition #4 (perhaps collapse it with #5) to allow
              for various additional sources that might be either written or oral (without
              any pre-condition that it is a unified document), you essentially have the
              position many of us who are attracted to the Farrer theory hold.

              David Inglis:

              Mark, I'm having trouble understanding your point. My analysis is telling me
              that both Mt and Lk had access to some common written material that is not
              part of Mk. Whether this was a single document, multiple notebooks, etc. is
              impossible to tell, as is the question of whether any of the Mt or Lk
              sondergut material came from written material that they did not have in
              common. However, as soon as you allow for Mt and Lk to have ANY common
              written material not in Mk (which I do), then surely you're no longer in FH
              territory, aren't you? So, are you suggesting that there is some sort of
              'sliding scale' between the FH and 3SH, with you close to the FH end, and me
              perhaps somewhere between you and the 3SH?