Source of unique Lukan words in Lk

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27, 2011
      Apologies for a (probably) silly question, but are there any synoptic
      theories that suggest that the words in sondergut Lk came from a different
      source than the triple tradition words unique to Lk?

    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 27, 2011
        On 27 June 2011 17:28, David Inglis <davidinglis2@...> wrote:

        > Apologies for a (probably) silly question, but are there any synoptic
        > theories that suggest that the words in sondergut Lk came from a different
        > source than the triple tradition words unique to Lk?

        A good number of theories think that, David. Indeed, it's basic to
        Streeter's Four Source Theory that in triple tradition, Luke is
        redacting Mark whereas in Special Luke, he is depending on L.
        Streeter is particularly interesting here in that he thinks that in
        Luke the L material effectively predates the Lucan casting of the
        triple tradition because he has Proto-Luke (mainly Q + L) predating
        canonical Luke (Proto-Luke + triple tradition + Luke 1-2).

        Of course one would have to add that even in the L material, Luke
        would be using some of his own vocabulary but for many Lucan scholars,
        the L material is replete also with non-Lucan vocabulary.

        Mark
        --
        Mark Goodacre
        Duke University

        http://www.markgoodacre.org
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 28, 2011
          Try checking LLoyd Gaston who did some earlier stats work on the vocab
          of the proposed Synoptic sources. Unlike some, he actually used
          a significance test if I remember correctly - think it was via chi squared
          but am returning from holiday through Sarajevo just now so not
          really answering with any data to hand

          Horae synopticae electronicae: Word statistics of the Synoptic Gospels
          is the title - ususally have it just behind my desk.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011
            David Inglis wrote-----------
            Apologies for a (probably) silly question, but are there any synoptic
            theories that suggest that the words in sondergut Lk came from a different
            source than the triple tradition words unique to Lk?
            -----------------

            The formula Gaston used for his stats for synoptic sources
            is on pp.12-13 of the item I cited a few days ago. His data for L
            are on pp.31-33, a list of around 60 words with counts, percentages
            and significance based on standard deviations.

            On the subject of material assigned to L it is also worth
            going as far back as B.S.Easton's commentary on Luke (1926) pp. xxiii
            -xxx which also cites an item from JBL 1910-1911 for more detailed
            evidence.

            There is more recent stuff too, of course, but these two are worth
            a quick read.