Re: [Synoptic-L] Minor Agreements

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26 7:17 PM
      On 26 June 2011 07:04, E Bruce Brooks <ebbrooks@...> wrote:

      > I think I earlier promised to demonstrate something about the Minor
      > Agreements. But that was on the assumption that doing so would give me an
      > edge over Q-type hypotheses, which as far as I know account for what might
      > be called the Major Agreements, but leave untouched the Minor Agreements
      > (identity of wording between Mt/Lk against Mk, but at the word or phrase
      > level).

      The Minor Agreements as usually defined also include agreements in
      omission and agreements in order.

      > Some of those agreements are corrections of Mk's Greek, which
      > perhaps anyone, or any three, might have made independently.

      It is true that many two-source theorists will argue for independent
      redaction for many of the MAs, but other factors evoked include
      textual assimilation and influence from Q.

      > But I have in
      > mind something more substantial, like the Parable of the Mustard Seed,

      The Mustard Seed is usually classified as Mark-Q overlap and not minor
      agreement. The agreement in order (pairing with the Leaven) as well as
      the agreements in wording incline Q theorists towards inclusion in Q.

      > where
      > Lk begins with phrasing that is close to Mk, but ends (as does Mt) with the
      > idea that birds can make nests in the resulting mustard tree (Mk, with
      > greater botanical accuracy, has them nest in its shade). So the Lk version
      > is indebted to Mk at the beginning, as no one finds problematic, but it also
      > agrees with Mt at the end, in a matter of substance and not of diction,
      > which I think DOES cause a problem.

      For Q theorists, Luke is following Q here, though he has some
      reminiscence in the introductory framing from Mark.

      All best
      Mark

      --
      Mark Goodacre